Expression Pedals (Volume & Wah Wah) for FM9

Hi Everyone; I'm New here and this is my 1st Post.
I play a Ton of GIGS, Forever, but these days mostly Small/ Medium, and I Own EVERYTHING,
But I'm about to order my 1st FRACTAL, the FM9 and am VERY EXCITED!

My question is;
The one thing I'll miss from the HELIX is the built in VOLUME/WAH Expression Pedal. (I use the Volume to Control the OVERALL VOLUME and NOT SWELLS, etc)
What do most if you FM9 users do, if you want both Volume and Wah Wah?
-I imagine you Purchase 2 Fractal Expression Pedals EX 2?
-if that's Right; do YOU MOUNT it all on some Pedal Board; The Fractal FM9 and Pedals?
-Or is that too big, so you keep them loose?
Any Advice would be great so I order all at once!
Thanks so much, I am pumped to get going!
Dave

I have 2 spring loaded Mission EP-1 pedals that I use for Wah and Whammy.

I have 2 Fractal EV-2 pedals that I use for Rotary speed and Delay Mix+Feedback.

Some presets may have other uses but those are my standards.

IMG_5375.jpeg

I use 2 EV2's, one set up for global volume (no block needed in each preset), & the other is for any expression pedal needs such as Wah or Delay/Reverb depth, or gain or what ever. I typically have Pedal 2 setup for reverb & delay mix to vary how wet the signal is to go from dryer rhythm settings to wetter for solos depending on the room, but you can route almost anything or any combination of parameters to an expression pedal so for me. Pedal 1 is always volume, and pedal 2 is the "Wildcard" that can be different for every preset as needed.

I went the db Instrument 4E rout! you actually save a little space and you have 2 pedals in one! @ 3.5 Lbs it isn't to heavy but it's built really well and it is pretty spendy at $396! Problem is they seem to be hard to get making them in batches when he has enough orders. I got lucky and found mine used, I think I paid $200.

IMG_1785.jpg

Are all 4 connected to FM9 ?
Yes.

Under my FM9 is an AudioFront Expression IO, which has 4 TRS jacks.

That connects to Midi In on the FM9. I also have 3 external switches connected to the FM9 jacks.

I can also connect the FM9 midi thru to midi in of my Axe Fx III to use the same expression pedals to control it without changing any cables :)

Like you I'm new to the Fractal world. I've had my FM9 for a little over 3 weeks and I'm amazed the that options that are available to connect external control devices. I use the following because I had them laying around.
Ped 1- M-audio expression set as a global volume pedal
Ped 2- M-audio expression set as my Wah
Ped 3- M-audio expression for any other effect control

I also had a midi commander not being used, so I connected it and use it only for turning off and on different effects and the tuner. and the commander gives me 2 more expression connections if needed.

I have setups with multiple expression pedals and setups with just one, and how they are assigned (to vol, wah, or other parameters/FX) depends on the preset. My expression pedals are always mounted on a board.

I recommend you first decide what functionality you want/need, then base the answer on that. For example, if your priority is to keep the board as small as possible and you never need XPDLs assigned to multiple parameters at the same time, go with one XPDL and just change its function per scene and/or per preset.

I have a pair of Moog expression pedals. One is mounted on the board and is (almost) always a volume pedal (heel down for tuner). The other expression pedal can be used if I want and it usually a wah but sometimes something else. It plugs into a TRS jack on the side of my board so it can be connected as needed.

Back
Top Bottom