Expression Pedal Help - What is "best"?

Hello guys,
I guess I'm just not comprehending what I'm reading on the Fractal website or the FM3 manual concerning the functionality of the EV-1 pedal. I've never used an expression pedal. I'm a little confused on how to route the cables. Before I order one:
1) If I wanted to use this as both a wah and a volume pedal, would I be running two TRS cables: one from the EV-1's volume output jack into FM3 pedal input # 1 and the other from the EV-1 expression output into the FM3 pedal input #2?
2) Is the volume input jack on the EV-1 designed to be used for a non-FM3 rig? In otherwords, if using the FM3 - is it necessary to use the volume input jack?
thank you in advance,
Jeff

Hello guys,
I guess I'm just not comprehending what I'm reading on the Fractal website or the FM3 manual concerning the functionality of the EV-1 pedal. I've never used an expression pedal. I'm a little confused on how to route the cables. Before I order one:
1) If I wanted to use this as both a wah and a volume pedal, would I be running two TRS cables: one from the EV-1's volume output jack into FM3 pedal input # 1 and the other from the EV-1 expression output into the FM3 pedal input #2?
2) Is the volume input jack on the EV-1 designed to be used for a non-FM3 rig? In otherwords, if using the FM3 - is it necessary to use the volume input jack?
thank you in advance,
Jeff
No... You either use it as an expression pedal or an analog volume pedal. Not both.

You can use it as an expression pedal to control either volume or Wah "inside the box".

It can be used as an analog volume pedal with anything, just as any other volume pedal.

It can be used as an expression pedal with many devices.

No... You either use it as an expression pedal or an analog volume pedal. Not both.

You can use it as an expression pedal to control either volume or Wah "inside the box".

It can be used as an analog volume pedal with anything, just as any other volume pedal.

It can be used as an expression pedal with many devices.
Gotcha.
thank you for the response.
Jeff

Thanks UG. Yeah, I am kinda lost with how this can be an advantage over a regular expression pedal and a seperate external switch. o_O
Definitely depends on the user’s needs. I’d guess the typical use would be to use the switch to engage a wah. Wah is commonly used for solos. Solos are usually taking place at full volume. So in this case you could get to full volume, engage the wah with the switch, perform your solo, then disengage the wah with the switch and exit your wah part at full volume.

And you don’t need to step in one place to engage the wah, then move your foot over to the pedal to use it, then move your foot back to the switch to bypass it.

Additionally, having them together doesn’t require any extra board space.

There are plenty of other cases where a separate pedal and switch would be preferable, but having them together could be advantageous in some situations.

Just depends on your use case.

What factors do I need to consider for picking an expression pedal?

I'm now considering the Fractal EV-2, Dunlop DVP5, Boss EV-30 or the Mission EP1-KP (mainly because it's a nice green color and easier to find used). Other than size, are there any things I need to know about these?

I am planning to use it with both Fractal gear as well as a pedalboard with a bunch of Strymons. With the pedalboard the expression pedal will be hooked up to a XSonic Airstep rather than direct to device and instead MIDI messages will be sent for expression.

I haven't had expression pedals in ages and even back then it was the ones on a FCB1010.

I'm now considering the Fractal EV-2, Dunlop DVP5, Boss EV-30 or the Mission EP1-KP (mainly because it's a nice green color and easier to find used). Other than size, are there any things I need to know about these?

I am planning to use it with both Fractal gear as well as a pedalboard with a bunch of Strymons. With the pedalboard the expression pedal will be hooked up to a XSonic Airstep rather than direct to device and instead MIDI messages will be sent for expression.

I haven't had expression pedals in ages and even back then it was the ones on a FCB1010.
After trying a few, I learned a huge factor for me is feel--specifically how long the throw is. The EV-1 and EV-2 have a great feel in this regard. The throw felt relatively short on the Mission pedals. I'm sure some people would prefer the shorter throw so it's a matter of taste.

I ended up benching my EV-2s and going with a pair of Moog expression pedals. They're a bit higher and bigger; those traits aren't always desirable but it meant the Moogs worked better for my live-in pedalboard.

After trying a few, I learned a huge factor for me is feel--specifically how long the throw is. The EV-1 and EV-2 have a great feel in this regard. The throw felt relatively short on the Mission pedals. I'm sure some people would prefer the shorter throw so it's a matter of taste.

I ended up benching my EV-2s and going with a pair of Moog expression pedals. They're a bit higher and bigger; those traits aren't always desirable but it meant the Moogs worked better for my live-in pedalboard.
Yes, this.

I've used various ones over the years but mostly used Mission. If you've used a crybaby or Dunlop Wah then you know the feel.

I recently got an EV-2 to help get a bit more free space and also because I wanted to see if I liked the throw better for the particular use case... And I do!

I'm trying to find another one used. I'll end up with 2 spring loaded EP-1s for Wah and Whammy and 2 EV-2s for Rotary and Delay.

How do you feel about the quality of the Moog EP-3 vs Fractal EV-2? The Fractal is of course smaller but the Moog is quite affordable, less than half the price of a EV-2 in Europe.

Good info about the Mission pedal short travel, I have found that a bit problematic on some pedals and would probably like a longer travel as well.

How do you feel about the quality of the Moog EP-3 vs Fractal EV-2? The Fractal is of course smaller but the Moog is quite affordable, less than half the price of a EV-2 in Europe.

Good info about the Mission pedal short travel, I have found that a bit problematic on some pedals and would probably like a longer travel as well.
The EV-2 definitely has a higher quality build. The EV-2 is metal and feels incredibly solid in the hand and has a nice smooth travel with a little "weight" to it. I like that you can use the EV-2's side jacks to use it as a volume pedal instead of expression if wanted as well.

The EP-3 is plastic. It feels solid though FWIW. It also has a smooth travel but feels a little "lighter" under foot. It has a side knob that allows some adjustment of how much range it has between toe up and down (virtual range; not physical) but I find I need to turn it all the way up anyway. I thought the pedal was broken before I noticed that knob and turned it up all the way. The EP-3 also has a polarity switch. Those two controls aren't really a selling point when using it for a Fractal though imo; they're set and forget.

The EV-2s are objectively "better" but in terms of plain old functionality as an expression pedal I'd say they both do the job perfectly. So it comes down to one's need for space and budget. I've seen plenty of people using either and all seem happy with them. If I didn't want the deeper depth and need the higher height--both of which "match" the FM9 better--I'd have just used the EV-2s.

The EV-2 definitely has a higher quality build. The EV-2 is metal and feels incredibly solid in the hand and has a nice smooth travel with a little "weight" to it. I like that you can use the EV-2's side jacks to use it as a volume pedal instead of expression if wanted as well.

The EP-3 is plastic. It feels solid though FWIW. It also has a smooth travel but feels a little "lighter" under foot. It has a side knob that allows some adjustment of how much range it has between toe up and down (virtual range; not physical) but I find I need to turn it all the way up anyway. I thought the pedal was broken before I noticed that knob and turned it up all the way. The EP-3 also has a polarity switch. Those two controls aren't really a selling point when using it for a Fractal though imo; they're set and forget.

The EV-2s are objectively "better" but in terms of plain old functionality as an expression pedal I'd say they both do the job perfectly. So it comes down to one's need for space and budget. I've seen plenty of people using either and all seem happy with them. If I didn't want the deeper depth and need the higher height--both of which "match" the FM9 better--I'd have just used the EV-2s.
Sounds like the EP-3 would be more than good enough for my needs, especially if I can find one used for a fair price.

I currently own two Fractal EV-2s, a spring loaded Mission, Boss EV-30/EV-5, and a Dunlop DVP4 (mini). They are all excellent. You really just need to look at the features and size to decide which to get - none of them are going to be bad choices.

Personally, for my guitar rig I usually use two expression pedals. I use a Boss EV-30 for my master output volume because of the ability to set the minimum value - heel is rhythm volume and toe is solo volume. For the second pedal I go back and forth between a Fractal EV-2 and a spring-loaded Mission pedal. To make the EV-2 pseudo spring-loaded, I use a section of a bike tire inner tube to force it to return.

Sounds like the EP-3 would be more than good enough for my needs, especially if I can find one used for a fair price.

I've never used an EP-3 but they've been around for a number of years and Moog is a company that typically builds excellent products so I would expect that to be a good choice as well.

Back
Top Bottom