Wish EVH 5153 EL34 100W

DutchThrasher

The EVH 5153 EL34 amp, maybe in both the 100W and 50W versions, but if I can only pick one it would be the 100W. I know you can swap the power tubes on a regular EVH 5153 to EL34's but the circuit design of the amp itself in real life is different in order to run EL34's rather than 6L6's. It would complete the EVH 5153 line-up as well.

The 100W is one of my favorite IRL amps. The green channel cleans up awesomely and there seems to be more upper mid/top end aggression to the blue and red channels than the 6L6 stealth.

You can switch the tubes in the power amp section ;). I did this with the revv g120 model to match the tubes inthe G50.

Also, for the 5153 models you will want to change the bias to 60. They come from the factory cold.

You can switch the tubes in the power amp section ;). I did this with the revv g120 model to match the tubes inthe G50.

Also, for the 5153 models you will want to change the bias to 60. They come from the factory cold.
There’s more differences to the amp than a power tube swap

It’s the same preamp as the Stealth I believe from reading threads from the designer
I honestly don’t remember exactly what was stated as different but most sound demos comparing the three iterations of 100 watts are pretty consistent in showing the differences imo. The EL34 Stealth vs 6L6 Stealth can unarguably be stated that, at the very least, the green channels are significantly different in gain structure.

Howard Kaplan mentions changes that EVH made between the 100 Watt and the 50 Watt EL34s alone.

I have tried it, it’s not the same lol
If the preamp is similar to the stealth and given all the options in the axe, I find it hard to believe that you can’t get close with some effort. My buddy has a Revv d50 and I was able to get so close using the revv 120 model as a base that we could not tell the difference. Granted not the same amp but I own a stealth 50 and I feel like I could get close to the el34 5153 version with the axe.

We have every conceivable Marshall design in the Axe, we should get every conceivable 5150 design too!

But seriously though, the EL34 and 6L6 stealth models are not just the same amp in different colours. I’d love to see the EL34 version in there too so we have all the options for more EVH goodness.

Back
Top Bottom