EV1 calibration problem with FC6

Doug Notter

Inspired
When I first got my Axe FX 3 I got 2 EV1's with it but no FC. No issues and everything worked great. After I got a FC6 and plugged the EV1's into the FC instead of the actual unit, I've had this issue where neither of them will reach 100%, even after recalibrating. I tried using the old long TRS cables I used before but still, the max on both EV1's is always 99.2%.

I can't figure out what dumb thing I did here. Any help?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 10.24.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 10.24.52 PM.png
    234.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 10.24.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 10.24.41 PM.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 8
Make sure you're calibrating in the right place. For the FC pedal inputs, it's in the FC controllers menu and not the I/O menu.

I followed the FC manual, not the axe fx manual. It lead me to the screen in the picture. See anything I'm doing wrong in there?

Attachments

• IMG_5312 copy.jpg
    IMG_5312 copy.jpg
    938 KB · Views: 10
Yeah that's the right place. Make sure you're hitting Enter after you move the pedal back and forth a few times and not Exit by mistake.

What FC firmware is loaded? There was a previous issue where pedals would not reach the full 100% after calibration.

I never even thought about these things having their own firmware. No idea how to update it but I'm sure it's not hard. I'll try that next.

Edit: It's got 1.10 on it right now.

Last edited:
Fixed! Firmware update did the trick. I figured it was something simple I was overlooking. Thank you!

For the Fractal team, the firmware updating process isn't mentioned in the FC manual. At least not that I saw. I found it in the update package itself obviously but the first place I instinctively looked was the FC manual. Page 29. Might merit a mention on that page? Not a big deal it just struck me as an odd and possibly accidental omission.

Curious if you bought it new or used? I'm assuming used...

It was new but I bought it a long time ago. I've been aware of the problem for a while. It wasn't until I tried to use a whammy pedal block that I could actually hear it rather than just see it so, just didn't have any motivation to figure it out until now.

The manual states most will not reach 100% toe down but will reach 100% heal down. I guess thats been fixed in the updated firmware. Interesting you could reach 100% either direction from the back panel. I was wondering if I had an issue with my Dunlop x8. I can't seem to add volume and or wah after calibration. I've added on some presets
But isn't working when I add a wah block on some presets.

On volume/pan I can't get anything. I've re-calibrated then add the block in the preset , no response from the pedal. Sometimes I just want to play guitar not flip manual pages and search threads.

Last edited:
The manual states most will not reach 100% toe down but will reach 100% heal down. I guess thats been fixed in the updated firmware. Interesting you could reach 100% either direction from the back panel. I was wondering if I had an issue with my Dunlop x8. I can't seem to add volume and or wah after calibration. I've added on some presets
But isn't working when I add a wah block on some presets.

On volume/pan I can't get anything. I've re-calibrated then add the block in the preset , no response from the pedal. Sometimes I just want to play guitar not flip manual pages and search threads.
Which manual states that and where? The whole point of calibration is to ensure you always get the full controller range regardless of what your pedal is actually able to reach.

Just adding the block does not assign anything to the pedal. Are you assigning a modifier to the control parameter in the Wah block or the Volume parameter in the Vol/Pan block and setting the pedal as the source?

Which manual states that and where? The whole point of calibration is to ensure you always get the full controller range regardless of what your pedal is actually able to reach.
Exactly. The pedal won't reach 100% on toe down, which is why you calibrate - so the full sweep of the pedal is "scaled".

However there was an FC bug that prevented a calibrated pedal from reaching 100%.

Thanks for the help, I finally did get both functions to work, volume and wah/expression, as mr_ Fender noted I was adding the volume block , was NOT assigning a controller, figured it out... finally. MY expression does not reach the end of the meter when toe is down when calibrating. I recalibrated after installing latest firmware on FC6. Odd I will copy and paste the section I am referring to, still looking.

Maybe read what i write? I calibrated twice ,same result. Telling me to calibrate more than once isn't necessary. ;)
I didn't tell you to calibrate again. Maybe read what I wrote...

I said that you DO calibration because a pedal doesn't reach 100% of the range. The act of calibrating determines how much range your pedal has and scales things so it functions as if it does go from 0-100%.

That is expected... It's why you calibrate ;)
Open SETUP | FC Controllers | Remote. If you have more than one FC controllers connected, select the desired Target FC unit using the A knob. Find the desired pedal (1-4) and ensure that Pedal Type is set to “CONTINUOUS”. Navigate to the Pedal Calibration function for the desired pedal and press the ENTER button. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform calibration. Watch the on-screen slider, which shows the reading of the pedal as you move it. The slider should move over a large portion of the range. Many brands of pedal will not reach the top, but all should reach the bottom. That part is what I was referring to in the FC12/6 manual. It stops short, maybe that's 100% for that model, Thanks

Open SETUP | FC Controllers | Remote. If you have more than one FC controllers connected, select the desired Target FC unit using the A knob. Find the desired pedal (1-4) and ensure that Pedal Type is set to “CONTINUOUS”. Navigate to the Pedal Calibration function for the desired pedal and press the ENTER button. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform calibration. Watch the on-screen slider, which shows the reading of the pedal as you move it. The slider should move over a large portion of the range. Many brands of pedal will not reach the top, but all should reach the bottom.
I didn't ask about this, @mr_fender did...

Did you assign the pedal as a modifier to the block after adding it to the preset?

It isn't automatic. You have to do the setup any time add a block you want to control to a preset.

Ah I see that now. Yeah that's the detected electrical range of the pedal. It's totally normal for that to not reach the top and should not affect performance at all. What matters is the range of values you get in the modifier. After calibration, the modifier dot should move the full range between the top and bottom corners on the graph and the assigned parameter should go fully between the selected MIN value and the selected MAX value.

Ah I see that now. Yeah that's the detected electrical range of the pedal. It's totally normal for that to not reach the top and should not affect performance at all. What matters is the range of values you get in the modifier. After calibration, the modifier dot should move the full range between the top and bottom corners on the graph and the assigned parameter should go fully between the selected MIN value and the selected MAX value.
Yea it still does not reach the top, maybe it's just as far as the range allows with the model I am using, I hope I am not missing out on more volume or values with exp. engaged. I am new to this and reluctant to jump in, I get obsessed with wanting to get the results everyone else is getting, this machine is so deep and some of the application's ability are just crazy good. I still do not have the desired taper with my V pedal. I've messed with it some, not enough. What is the key setting for it gradually increasing volume when pressing toe down?, I seem to be getting maxed early or I get some increase then its maxed about 3/4 and the last 1/4 has no increase in V. The auto engage on the wah is like so gig friendly, damn no latch or light to look for just move the pedal. Great stuff, Cheers and thank You!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom