EQ the main PA, or leave the mains alone and only EQ each individual channel?

EQ the PA, or EQ individual instruments with no EQ on the PA at all?

• EQ the PA

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Don’t EQ the PA at all, only EQ the individual instrument and vocal channels

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rushfan

Power User
This is a Poll (I forgot to put that in the title!). So please also cast a vote above!
In a discussion with a sound engineer, he prefers to NOT EQ the main PA for different rooms or outdoors, and prefers to do the parametric EQ sweeps of each channel during soundcheck to set each channel, leaving the main PA EQ off.
I believe one should tune the PA for each room, say, with some familiar program material, and then adjust the EQ on the channels to taste, if need be, especially since the channel EQ also affects the monitors. (A large 2K boost on my Axe FX channel one night made my guitar so uninspiring to play, and I found it to be exceedingly bright and brittle. It really was hard to play)
I’m not saying I am right and he is wrong, these are just 2 different schools of thought, but I believe it is easier to tune the main PA EQ, and the channel EQ will be fairly consistent from room to room to outdoors.

Last edited:
if you EQ the PA to the room you don't have to change everything in all channels every time.

most don't EQ the PA to the room because they don't have an EQ for that.

if you EQ the PA to the room you don't have to change everything in all channels every time.

most don't EQ the PA to the room because they don't have an EQ for that.
Most modern digital mixers have an overall EQ for the mains, so I would think they would EQ the PA to the room, as your first line suggests. I agree with that. Oh, and can you please cast a vote in the poll? I plan to share the link results! Thanks @chris!

Last edited:
I’m not saying I am right and he is wrong, these are just 2 different schools of thought, but I believe it is easier to tune the main PA EQ, and the channel EQ will be fairly consistent from room to room to outdoors.
I'm saying that you're right, and he's wrong.:);):cool:

If he doesn't like it, send him my way... Wait, is he a big guy? :D

Begs the question if he's really a sound "engineer" or just stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Please be nice! He’s a newer friend, and I don’t know how he came up with this concept, he’s really a nice person, and a good musician. A difference of opinion with me, and I was just trying to see if anyone else does it the way he describes it - or not!

Back
Top Bottom