Epiphone DG-335

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
This new release is all over my feeds. What is everyone's thoughts on this model? looks interesting. premium priced Epiphone though. Throwing this vid on here for a Canadian flavor today. It's our big chain store

I saw an ad for it on from Musician's Fiend on the book of faces this morning. I'm in agreement that the price seems high, but I say that about everything nowadays.

I’d been eager to check this out, and from the sound demos, I’d say it sounds overpriced. I’m sure it’s a nice guitar, but I’m getting really tired of everybody saying the import guitars are “just as good” as the high end stuff. They are still not comparable. Feel like plastic toys by comparison, and you can hear it and feel it too.

I’d been eager to check this out, and from the sound demos, I’d say it sounds overpriced. I’m sure it’s a nice guitar, but I’m getting really tired of everybody saying the import guitars are “just as good” as the high end stuff. They are still not comparable. Feel like plastic toys by comparison, and you can hear it and feel it too.
This is the truth unfortunately . It's everything but cheap wood and thick plastic finish are the main culprits not the construction. Apart from the use of straight channel generic truss rods.the construction is very well done on Epiphone today .

From what I saw elsewhere they are about $1300?

That's very high for an Epiphone to me...
They wont be getting cheaper.

It took used fender mexi models about 10+ years to increase uniformly in price compared to new by my observations. Other import brands have seen the same rate around here.

They wont be getting cheaper.

It took used fender mexi models about 10+ years to increase uniformly in price compared to new by my observations. Other import brands have seen the same rate around here.
In fairness to Epiphone that is why they are a lot better than they where .They have enough budget to take a bit more time.

Yeah, I think if you're ok with how poly feels and how import guitars sound (they definitely all have a similar vibe, and I'm so grateful for @Andy Eagle chiming in, because I feel seen), then this is probably great.

I was looking at Telecasters the other day, and Fender has really made it hard these days. Everything American-made feels similar to the Player series now thanks to the poly, and it's not great. A truly great instrument is now just Custom Shop, it seems. But at 6x the price, you better really want a great Tele.

And that's more or less how I feel about... everything in the market.

With the current state of guitar prices and it looks like this may be the new norm, makes me very happy that I've already put together my collection when prices were more palatable...and don't foresee many future purchases.

I am finally watching this full Long & McQuade video and I have to admit this sounds totally fine — good even! — but, you know, it doesn't sound like a 335. Just like a big beefy dual humbucker sound. Not a lot of personality compared to what I expected.

Maybe Andy will say I'm going insane, but I'm certain that "plastic" sound I hear in all these demos (and all the import guitars) is some sort of brittleness in the highs. You can really hear it when people strum the two high strings. The treble is so forward; it's like it's just the sound of the pickups with none of the sound of the wood.

A lot of the high end Epiphones including this one are using Gibson USA burstbucker pickups these days.

I'm waiting for an ES-339 with an explorer hockey stick headstock personally. :tearsofjoy:

Yeah, I think if you're ok with how poly feels and how import guitars sound (they definitely all have a similar vibe, and I'm so grateful for @Andy Eagle chiming in, because I feel seen), then this is probably great.

I was looking at Telecasters the other day, and Fender has really made it hard these days. Everything American-made feels similar to the Player series now thanks to the poly, and it's not great. A truly great instrument is now just Custom Shop, it seems. But at 6x the price, you better really want a great Tele.

And that's more or less how I feel about... everything in the market.
Fender has used poly since the 60's The cheaper ones tend to be thicker because it reduces the time spent . The Player series is almost identical the the first USA AmStd. Fender today is better than it ever was.

@Andy Eagle really?!! I had no idea. What is it that’s made the feel and sound so different, then, compared to their vintage models? Just curious.
The thickness and hardness. This is why the relic CS Fenders sound and feel like old ones. Relic finishes need to be very thin to look right in the damage. Modern guitars are typically sealed sanded flat and then colour and clear . 2K plasticised paint is not as brittle and has a slight dampening effect on the acoustic sound (but it is very durable). Remember all good electric guitars must work and sound good acoustically. The acoustic properties govern how the strings ring and what overtones are there and whether there are any dead spots of over loud notes. Sustain is also down to the Guitar unplugged. The best (acoustic) electric bodies have a light/ish even grain resonant body wood with a very hard thin skin shell to reflect the energy back in the the wood. The body should also have a resonant peak either a musical interval or far away from the neck if you want to avoid dissonance and dead spots.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom