Enter Sandman Lead sound

firmani99

Inspired
Where would you guys start to create an enter sandman / black album lead tone? I'd rather not use tone matching since I will be playing through a real cab. Really just curious where to start? I know the rhythm guitars were mostly Mark series amps but I think I heard that the lead tones were more marshall. I'd be curious to see what you guys think.

I never noticed this before, but there's a different sounding amp coming in for just that one octave/descending lick then it goes back to the other tone-

Who knows how much they EQ'd the shit out of that after the fact but it's pretty scooped which makes me think it's more Mesa than Marshall, with that one punch in sounding more Marshally than the rest of it. I think getting the wah flavor tweaked right will be trickier than the amp.

Maybe not a different amp, they probably had to re-punch it in after most of the leads were done, so they had to try to match the original lead tone. It's damn near impossible to get exactly the same tones once you've broken down all the amps / cabs / wiring / etc.

There's a good amount of reverb/room ambience and even subtle delay going on that's also very important. I don't have headphones available at this moment but Kirk solos usually have some sort of "width" also possibly created by panning different mics across the stereo spectrum. Studio sounds are not easy to get specially how it was done back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom