Easy way to flip L&R in a reverb block?

WKSmith

Power User
I would like to use a dual IR acoustic stereo path through a reverb while using another reverb inverted with its outputs flipped. And keep it in the FM9 instead of the DAW. I think I can use 2 mixer blocks, but perhaps there is a simple way?

So that the hard panned L path goes to the verb 2 R stereo out and the hard panned R path goes to the verb 2 L stereo out.

Like in this video. At 12:22

A volume or filter block can swap channels, but that won't add the same type of width as in that video because reverb blocks send a mono sum to the reverb engine.

You can try sending L to reverb 1 and R to reverb 2 instead. I don't remember if reverb has an input select parameter. A vol/pan (input select) or filter block (balance) before each reverb can accomplish the same thing.

I think I have found a simple solution. I believe using an in/out pair as a stereo fx loop using short jumpers will do it. The cables on either the send or return can be switched to send R to L and L to R. simple and easy on DSP.

I would like to use a dual IR acoustic stereo path through a reverb while using another reverb inverted with its outputs flipped. And keep it in the FM9 instead of the DAW. I think I can use 2 mixer blocks, but perhaps there is a simple way?

So that the hard panned L path goes to the verb 2 R stereo out and the hard panned R path goes to the verb 2 L stereo out.

Like in this video. At 12:22
I don't quite follow what you mean about inverted, but I believe this is what he's demonstrating in the video. So I think you're right that mixer blocks are the best way. Both reverbs are 100% wet and the mixers are panned left and right. Use the mixers to adjust the wet/dry mix. This is a common technique with delays, but I suppose it could work with reverb.

reverb.jpg

Thanks for looking at this. I thought the mixer block pan would do this too. He is using one stereo verb from 2 hard panned sources.

And a second reverbs right side would be fed from the left panned track and that reverbs left side is fed from the right. That's the inverted bit.

He didn't do a great job of explaining it in the video. He neglected to mention the reverbs need to be 100% wet. As Bakerman mentioned, there are no "sides" in the input to a reverb engine. In the video, he's using two mono reverbs (Valhalla VintageVerb is a stereo reverb, but by hard panning it, you effectively make it a mono reverb). Each mono reverb is sent a single input. You can see in the youtube comments people were pretty confused about how to achieve this effect. My recipe above might be a better description of how to do this that what he showed in the video.

I don't quite follow what you mean about inverted, but I believe this is what he's demonstrating in the video. So I think you're right that mixer blocks are the best way. Both reverbs are 100% wet and the mixers are panned left and right. Use the mixers to adjust the wet/dry mix. This is a common technique with delays, but I suppose it could work with reverb.

View attachment 114551
The cab blocks are also hard panned here, correct? Although it probably doesn't matter if the mixer blocks are panned?

He mentions "neck" and "bridge" in the video. Not sure what he's referring to there (edit: oh, the mics are aimed there...got it). It looks like two different tracks though. How would this apply to what is presumably a mono, single-source, input signal?

He mentions "neck" and "bridge" in the video. Not sure what he's referring to there. It looks like two different tracks though. How would this apply to what is presumably a mono, single-source, input signal?
It's two small condenser mics one on the bridge and one on the 12th fret as two tracks.
I'm going for something similar with 2 IRs

He mentions "neck" and "bridge" in the video. Not sure what he's referring to there. It looks like two different tracks though. How would this apply to what is presumably a mono, single-source, input signal?
He recorded his guitar with two mic's, creating two tracks.

This technique is only useful with dual tracks. It's usually applied to double tracked guitars, using delays instead of reverbs, but you can use it with any pair of mono sources.

You can use one mixer block for this, or the output block's mixer (if no shared stereo blocks are used after reverb). Those have balance controls for each row and you'd have all 4 level controls on one page then. Or if you don't need that conveneience, do all balancing in the cab & reverb blocks like this:

dualrev.png

Back
Top Bottom