Dynamic IR preset for acoustic guitar

Ender699

Hello,
acoustic guitar IR's that transform the sound of a pickup to that of a mic'ed guitar are one way to obtain a nice acoustic sound without the hassle of mic'ing up the guitar. However, IR's are so-called linear time invariant transforms, which means that they cannot model non-linear effects like compression and variances in timbre due to how 'hard' the guitar is played (to name but a few) and that are not present in the pickup signal. Basically an IR produces the same sonic result whether the input is low or high, it's just softer or louder. Also when determining an acoustic instrument IR this is usually based on a musical performance that is recorded at the same time with a microphone and with built-in pickup-system. As such it represents a kind of 'average' response of the instrument during the performance. Clearly some of the variances of how the instrument behaves will be lost due to this ...

IR's can be extended to include non-linear behavior, but this is a labyrinthian rabbit hole (Volterra Kernels, Wiener Hammerstein models, dynamic convolution, ....) that is not only pretty complex, but also not implemented on our FAS (and other ) devices.

I wanted to test this out using a much simpler approach, based on 2 IR's that represent 2 extremes in playing a guitar: fingerpicking ('low' volume) and strumming ('high' volume). These 2 IR's are blended together in realtime using an envelope follower. This mixing is seamless, and the volume remains constant.

To my ear this seems to work well, providing a different timbre when fingerpicking compared to strumming.
Admittingly the effect is small, and possibly not relevant for any live sound. In the studio one is most likely better served with a DI recording and adding an IR and approppriate EQ afterwards anyway. In that sense the exercise maybe academic ..... Also maybe a similar idea could be applied to one IR + 2 PEQ (or 2 GEQ).

Guitar: Taylor 816 Builders edition
Pickup: Taylor ES2
Microphone: Rode M3
'Soft' IR: fingerpicking and soft slow strumming of some chords
'Loud' IR: strumming with pick.

Notes:

1. The threshold and settings of the envelope follower must be adapted to the pickup of your guitar. Adjust them until you get 0 - 100% for soft playing to 100 - 0% for hard playing in the mixer block that has the 2 IR signals as input.

2. I use input 2 for acoustic guitars (1 is always for electric guitars on my presets). When using combined electric acoustic presets this setup is not possible due to the lack of IR blocks on the FM9.

3. When using a looper to finetune a preset we have a problem: the envelope follower CANNOT use the looper as a source. This means that if we want the IR blending to work with a looper we need to record it on input 3, and then patch output 3 to input using a TR-cable when playing it back (output 3 knob fully open is unity gain) ... This is a FAS limitation!

4. Note that the included IR's are specific to a Taylor 816 BE, they may or may not suit your guitar at all!
I can compute the appropriate IR's for you, see also https://github.com/yvdh/Acoustic-IR-Generator.

Any comments welcome!
Yves

1697994110793.png

Attachments

• Taylor 816 2IR.fasBundle
    21.1 KB · Views: 39
Yeah, odd. I checked and inside there is indeed only one IR instead of two. There is clearly a bug in the exporter, it clearly marked the 2 IR's for export. Hang on, i'll find a solution ....

I have unzipped the fas bundle and manually added the IR, and then rezipped it. Hopefully it works now. I have posted the 'cab-bundle' error too in the forums.

At the risk of being wrong but those real life aspect that are not embedded in the IRs, isn't it therefore where the cab block intervenes?

This may be academic and a deep rabbit hole...

but I am personally very fond of academic rabbits and their deep respective holes.

At the risk of being wrong but those real life aspect that are not embedded in the IRs, isn't it therefore where the cab block intervenes?
I may misunderstand your question, but I will try to answer. IR's here are used to map a pickup signal of a played note or chord to a mic'd version of the same note or chord. Think of it as a very detailed and fine EQ. This is an oversimplification, an IR can, among other things, e.g. also represent internal reverberations that are delayed with regards to the initial note or chord and are not present in the pickup signal.
It is however linear which means that if a => b, then 2*a => 2*b. Thus if you play twice as hard and the pickup just generates a output that is twice as hard (because it the pickup itself is linear and just reacts to the strings and is much less influenced by how the instrument as a whole reacts), then the IR will be just twice as hard too. We all know a (acoustic) guitar played harder just reacts differently (compression, tonal shifts, etc. ....). This is where an IR falls short. I hope this clarifies things a bit ...
Yves

Back
Top Bottom