DynaCab - settings in Speaker tab auto resetting?

Gave the Mesa DynaCabs a spin tonight. Turned the "Auto Dyna-Cab Imp." on in the Speaker tab. When lowering for example the Low Freq knob I notice it resets to its default upon-load-setting when I switch to the cab-block or any other block and then back to the amp block. Does it even when saving the preset before switching to another block on the grid.

Is that behavior part of having the "Auto Dyna-Cab Imp" on? If so, why is it that all of them resets except the "XFormer Low Freq", "Cab Resonance" and "XFormer Hi Freq"?

It's a bit annoying because I just found out that the Low Freq knob is really useful to tame the low end without using any low cut in the cab block. It sounds more natural to me cutting the low end this way, but it's weird the settings I set are reseted when switching to another block and then back to the amp block.

Can somebody confirm it's the same on your side?

That's what "auto" does: automatically sets the SIC to match the selected DC - if you want custom SIC values (Low/High Freq, LF/HF Reso, LF Q, HF Slope), turn "auto" to off. XFormer settings are not updated because those are derived from the amp model selection (changing amp model will automatically vary the Xformer values). Cab Resonance is a user preference unaffected by cab model changes (as I recall, it goes back to 100% on amp model changes).

Last edited:
That's what "auto" does: automatically sets the SIC to match the selected DC - if you want custom SIC values (Low/High Freq, LF/HF Reso, LF Q, HF Slope), turn "auto" to off. XFormer settings are not updated because those are derived from the amp model selection (changing amp model will automatically vary the Xformer values). Cab Resonance is a user preference unaffected by cab model changes (as I recall, it goes back to 100% on amp model changes).
Thanks for the input! 👍🏻

Just to be a bit more clear so I don't confuse anyone:
  • With "Auto" On and Cab in "DynaCab" mode:
    • Amp1 SIC Values (the SIC curve) are automatically set to match the DC selected in slot1 of Cab1. SIC Values include: Low/High Freq, LF/HF Reso, LF Q, HF Slope.
    • Similarly, Amp2 SIC Values are automatically set to match the DC selected in slot1 of Cab2
    • XFormer Values do not change with DC selection, they will change with amp model selection.
  • With "Auto" Off and/or Cab not in DynaCab mode:
    • Amp SIC values and XFormer values change along with the amp model selected within a preset, except when the value selected in GLOBAL > SETUP > "Spkr Imp. Curve" is set to a value other than "default" - in that case (global SIC curve other than "default" selected), SIC values will reflect only the global selection as amp model is varied within a preset (XFormer values would continue to change with varied amp model changes within a preset despite a non-"default" SIC value selected in global).
  • Regardless of "Auto" setting or Cab mode:
    • Speaker page values other than those that are SIC and XFormer related default to a single value when varying amp model or cab selection within a preset, except for the "Cab Resonance" and "Speaker Breakup" values which will, within a preset, remain at what ever value the user has last set them to within a preset since last saving the preset (or default if unchanged by the user) even when varying the amp or cab model within the preset.
  • Some added minimal "under the covers" SiC influence across different amps using the same SiC curve was observed and confirmed in this thread (long read for those interested).

Back
Top Bottom