Dyna Cabs Vortex Painkiller tone

hward005

I'm trying to setup the Dyna Cab to recreate the Vortex method used by Chris Tsangarides on Judas Priest's Painkiller album. Here's a video recreating it IRL.

I'm unable to replicate it in the Axe Fx III. Any suggestions? Is it even possible?

What have you tried? Maybe upload a preset, but this doesn't sound very difficult. Close mic hard panned to the right, and then the other mic off axis and pulled back as far as you can in dyna cab, and then hard panned to the left. Then put the cab output as stereo, start a second row from the cab output. Put a reverb in the second row and put the reverb input as Left only (first row is without reverb so the close mic panned to the right is fully dry). Set it to 100% wet and probably a pretty small room and short delay. I haven't tried it myself but it "seems" pretty straightforward. This is the same idea as the Van Halen I and II presets, but that's usually a much longer reverb and has reverb spillover to both sides.

Thanks, it didn't occur to me to try adding a room reverb to just one of the cabs. I've uploaded a preset. It's as close as I've been able to get. The amp block has different models with the same settings. There's not a model for the exact amp in the video, and I'm not sure what was actually used on the album. For the cabs I just used mesa boogie dynacabs.

Attachments

• Painkiller Vortex.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom