Dyna Cabs Beta Review

Casimir

Inspired
Dyna Cabs has been a game-changing feature for me. I have had the Axe III for about a year now, and I have been used to the world of IRs, so it was never really an issue for me using the Axe. I have a considerable library of IRs for Vox style amps, and I know which ones I like. However, I have always struggled to dial in Fender/Marshal tones. I could never seem to find the right IR for those types of amps, and never really felt connected to many of those amp models. I would spend hours trying to find the right IR, and just end up going back to the amp models I knew well.

As soon as I saw the beta for Dyna Cabs, I downloaded it, and noticed it was pretty light on Vox amp style cabs. The AC-20 was in there, and it sounds great, and was easy to work with, but I figured I would try dialing in some of those Fender/Marshal sounds I have always struggled with. It was instantly a different ball game. The ability to move the mic around in a 2d space made me instantly feel more connected to the amp, and helped me to feel all the nuances of the amp models. Of course, I knew that moving the position of the amp from cone to cap would make it darker/brighter, but I had no idea how much of an effect the distance had on the sound. I loved how the closer the mic was to the amp, the more you could feel some low end "rumble", and how moving the mic away could thin out the sound, and remove some mud. Within 5 minutes of messing with the cab, I felt like I was able to dial in a great tone, and also gain a fresh understanding of the amp. To me, it felt like so much more of an immersive experience.

I am excited to see the full list of cabs we get when the full 22.00 software comes out. Fractal has done an incredible job with these cabs, and I believe it is a great addition to the king of the modelers.

The one thought I had when trying Dyna Cabs was - man this is fun!
Loop a riff, play with the mic placement - boom, there it is.

It's allowing me to try cabs I normally wouldn't, simply because of the time it would take to flip through IRs.
Since it's so time consuming, I would stick to the cabs I knew (and the 100's of IRs that existed for those cabs).
Now I just pick one of the Dyna models, click and move that mic around - oh, ok...I like that. Save.

Absolutely loving the Dyna Cab capability.

Find myself doing the looper and moving the mic position myself. Also find myself a/b ing my favorite Legacy IR's with the Dyna's. Also you can expand the tonal possibilities by using the Dyna Cabs but turning off the Dyna Impedance section in the Amp Speaker block and then use the traditional Impedance curves. I know the Dyna Impedance Curves are set but turning this off in the amp block still allows one to use the Dyna Cabs and Traditional Impedance curves at the same time for more possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom