Dual Wedges or Dual Cabs?

ricbob

So I am (or, had been) planning on getting two passive Reactor wedges once they're back in stock. I mostly plan to play these in my home, and I assumed that the wedges would give me a better distribution of sound towards my noggin than cabinets. The other benefit being if I wanted to gig with them I could use one of the wedges as a stage monitor.

What are the main advantages/disadvantages of a wedge versus a traditional cab? I have very limited gigging experience and have only ever owned traditional style combo amps, and often find that I have to angle them to get a good directed sound towards my head, so wedges seemed like a good choice for me. The only thing that got me thinking otherwise was this thread and a couple of the pics posted therein http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17778

I love the "mini stack" look. How does having two cabs stacked vertically affect the stereo sound? I guess you would just get more of a floor to ceiling "spread" and I can see the logistical advantage of two stacked cabs for jamming with friends when floor space is almost always a precious commodity.

Anyway, your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated. I am sure I'll be happy either way, I just have a decision to make! Thanks!

I am also trying to make this decision as I wait for them to be back in stock as well.
I will say this - I went to the Fractal office and tried both the wedges and the regular cabs.
If you have stage space for wedges, they seem like the best option...they carry lots of bass, and project very well.

At my gigs, I usually stack my amp on top of a 18 space rack case, in order to save stage space. So for me, I thought the regular cab was probably the way to go. BUT...I found if I flip the wedge 180 degrees (upside down)....it sits just like a regular cab...and sounds just as good. I also took two of the wedges and turned them 90 degrees, so they are standing the tall way on their sides. This also sounded good...especially with two of them right next to each other (nice stereo spread). So the point is, the wedges have some versatility, and can be configured different ways depending on the stage space you have.

Other opinions may vary....but these are my initial thoughts with the testing I did....

BBN said:
At my gigs, I usually stack my amp on top of a 18 space rack case, in order to save stage space. So for me, I thought the regular cab was probably the way to go. BUT...I found if I flip the wedge 180 degrees (upside down)....it sits just like a regular cab...and sounds just as good. I also took two of the wedges and turned them 90 degrees, so they are standing the tall way on their sides. This also sounded good...especially with two of them right next to each other (nice stereo spread). So the point is, the wedges have some versatility, and can be configured different ways depending on the stage space you have.

Thank you very much! These are the kinds of opinions I was hoping for. You've really given me more reasons to want those wedges!

BBN said:
I am also trying to make this decision as I wait for them to be back in stock as well.
I will say this - I went to the Fractal office and tried both the wedges and the regular cabs.
If you have stage space for wedges, they seem like the best option...they carry lots of bass, and project very well.

Other opinions may vary....but these are my initial thoughts with the testing I did....

+1 go with the Wedges...

Back
Top Bottom