Downloaded presets

golfnut

Inspired
For presets that are downloaded are they pretty much ready to go with minimal tweaking or do you really have to mess with eq\settings. Being a newbie I just wondered.
I noticed that the Neal Schon presets were available on the Fractal site "Gift of tone" section so I downloaded it out of curiosity. At some point I'll import it to my FM9 when I receive it.

In my experience with stuff from Gift of tone or professionally programmed presets from Austin Buddy etc. I usually have to do some mild eq tweaking. Everyone’s monitoring system and ears are different. Same goes for stuff from Axe change.

For presets that are downloaded are they pretty much ready to go with minimal tweaking or do you really have to mess with eq\settings. Being a newbie I just wondered.
I noticed that the Neal Schon presets were available on the Fractal site "Gift of tone" section so I downloaded it out of curiosity. At some point I'll import it to my FM9 when I receive it.
NO-Just like the GREAT factory presets, some tweaking is normally involved for your setup and taste.

It always depends on what the person did use to dial in the preset.
It depends on guitar, speakers headphones etc.
So if you download a preset which is dials in with a different speaker, it will sound different with your setup.

Most presets I’ve downloaded including the GOT’s didn’t sound good to me but I was able to dial them in. I’ve had the best luck with Burg’s stuff and some from Leon Todd. Mostly I just save effects and dial in my own amp blocks and use my own IR’s.

Imo they mostly can't be, and if they are, its blind luck. Why?, because they are dialed in with someone elses guitar, room, monitoring system, and hands - not yours. Having said that, the good ones (ie AB, MF) are fantastic starting points for whatever tone you're after, and are an excellent way to learn techniques for dialing in your own.

You'll get to know what you like. I now have a number of tweaks and additions I do to every preset I download even before I listen to them. These are things I've learned after tweaking for years and work for me, but probably not with most people,

This is a complex topic. Naturally, you should tweak to what works for your ears, guitars, room/headphones, and desired volume level.

At lower volumes you may want extra bass/highs in a preset, at higher volumes you may not want as much (google the term “fletcher munsen curves” for more info).

Some presets like austin buddy’s are dialed in at certain volume levels, e.g., 95 db at a certain distance, in a properly treated room. When you play in your room or headphones at your volume levels they may not seem right but would be good if you are playing loud in a club through a good foh pa system.

So tweak to meet your needs but remember it is complex 😄. Enjoy.

This is a complex topic. Naturally, you should tweak to what works for your ears, guitars, room/headphones, and desired volume level.

At lower volumes you may want extra bass/highs in a preset, at higher volumes you may not want as much (google the term “fletcher munsen curves” for more info).

Some presets like austin buddy’s are dialed in at certain volume levels, e.g., 95 db at a certain distance, in a properly treated room. When you play in your room or headphones at your volume levels they may not seem right but would be good if you are playing loud in a club through a good foh pa system.

So tweak to meet your needs but remember it is complex 😄. Enjoy.

My plan is to configure presets at home at quite loud volumes. Near gig levels or somewhere in between home and gig level so that when I turn up or down, there isn't too much difference. The small venues I will be targeting are fairly low volume. There are some venues where I'm actually a bit lower volume then I play my tube amps at home. I do tend to play much louder than your typical home player, because I can.

Reactions: jrx
Back
Top Bottom