Don't want to add noise or spam, by a probably already discuss topic.

I don't want to add noise or spam, as a similar topic has probably already been discussed. But because some of you are already FX2 and AX8 users, you can clear my main doubt. "Amp sound quality of AX8 compared to FX2 XL+".

Been reading about the units. Most of the differences are irrelevant to me and i won't need them.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Differences_between_AX8_and_Axe-Fx_II_XL+

Most of the time i will be using a high quality amp; Friedman BE 100 included, high quality reverb and an occasional high quality delay all coming from the AX8.

I know AX8 DSP's are weaker than the FX2.

- All i care to know is. Do AX8 amps, deliver exactly the same sound quality as the FX2, both for studio recording and live?
As for other studio applications, what the AX8 does, is enough for me.

I would definetely appreciate your opinions on the bellow units. Where i'm based, I can only try the Helix, in a shop which is 550km's away, but do to the distance and because it cannot be compared to the AX8, i don't even bother to.

--- I disqualified: ---

Kemper Profiler:
I think fractal does what it does, better.

Line 6 Helix:
Too many bells and whistles but doesn't deliver what matters the most. A great real authentic sound.

Theta PRo DSP:
Very promising, great sounding. They told me people are selling their fractals and buying the "Theta PRo DSP".
Commercial trickery or not; I feel Fractal wins on what matters the most; to me anyway.

I dont think anyone except yourself can answer this question. Does every Les Paul sound the same? Also, since the AX8 cant record direct with USB, you would need to introduce an interface which would slightly color the tone.

I dont think anyone except yourself can answer this question. Does every Les Paul sound the same? Also, since the AX8 cant record direct with USB, you would need to introduce an interface which would slightly color the tone.

If the amp clones sound exactly as good as the fx2 considering the DSP's are weaker; i am happy!

Regarding an interface coloring the tone. Are you a sound engineer? With a decent interface it should be unnoticeable.
But i am not a sound engineer...

Yes. They are indistinguishable in sound.

If you have some gargantuan preset in the AxeFx that eats up a ton of cpu, you may or may not be able to duplicate that on the fx8 if you run out of cpu headroom.

Your mileage my vary.

If the amp clones sound exactly as good as the fx2 considering the DSP's are weaker; i am happy!

Regarding an interface coloring the tone. Are you a sound engineer? With a decent interface it should be unnoticeable.
But i am not a sound engineer...
The coloration added by a mic pre will be more noticeable if you're stacking numerous tracks in your DAW. It certainly won't be 100% transparent. But SPDIF out is an option if you do want your recorded tracks to be 100% transparent (as opposed to maybe 99% transparent using a mic pre and extra round of AD/DA conversion).

Yes. They are indistinguishable in sound.

If you have some gargantuan preset in the AxeFx that eats up a ton of cpu, you may or may not be able to duplicate that on the fx8 if you run out of cpu headroom.

Your mileage my vary.

Buying the AX8 i won't need an FX2.
I will do a few tweaks to some amps and effects; not loose countless hours perfecting things up.
Cos when a firmware update comes i will loose everything anyway; so i'l always tweak AX8 as i would do to a real rig; more or less :)

The coloration added by a mic pre will be more noticeable if you're stacking numerous tracks in your DAW. It certainly won't be 100% transparent. But SPDIF out is an option if you do want your recorded tracks to be 100% transparent (as opposed to maybe 99% transparent using a mic pre and extra round of AD/DA conversion).

My computer motherboard has SPDIF.
A 100% transparent signal is always the best route, so there is a solution :)

Back
Top Bottom