Does DIN midi out jack ignore midi phantom power?

I’m planning to connect my FM3 to a relatively elaborate Voodoo Lab switching system. The Voodoo Lab kit transmits power on the in jacks to power Ground Control and Commander units, etc.

Most of my MIDI cables have all pins wired… I’m wondering if I need to adapt or if the Fractal MIDI out is MIDI phantom power agnostic?

I would like to avoid frying the FM3 if at all possible. ☺️

Thanks in advance! Best, D

I’m planning to connect my FM3 to a relatively elaborate Voodoo Lab switching system. The Voodoo Lab kit transmits power on the in jacks to power Ground Control and Commander units, etc.

Most of my MIDI cables have all pins wired… I’m wondering if I need to adapt or if the Fractal MIDI out is MIDI phantom power agnostic?

I would like to avoid frying the FM3 if at all possible. ☺️

Thanks in advance! Best, D
FM3 or AxeFXIII? I don’t think their midi configuration is exactly the same. The FM3 had an issue with cooking WIDI jacks, not sure this is a concern to you but if you have an FM3 question, you’re in the wrong sub forum.

FM3 or AxeFXIII? I don’t think their midi configuration is exactly the same. The FM3 had an issue with cooking WIDI jacks, not sure this is a concern to you but if you have an FM3 question, you’re in the wrong sub forum.
The FM3. The AxeFx and FM9 have mated over SPDIF and are plotting virtual world domination. The FM3 needs a little help from a refrigerator rack to keep up.

Um, noted on the cooked WIDI… Thanks! I will definitely check those threads for clues.

EDIT: Looking at the CME WIDI device, I suspect that is an issue with power draw whereas I’m concerned about the presence of voltage on the optionally wired pins.

Last edited:
Power over midi is not standardized on specific pins so I think it might be hard to add protection.

I'd either buy cables with only 3 pins wired or snip the pins to be safe.

Power over midi is not standardized on specific pins so I think it might be hard to add protection.

I'd either buy cables with only 3 pins wired or snip the pins to be safe.
Thanks. Short of definitive confirmation, in a pinch that’s what I’ll do/use—I’ve likely got a couple laying around here.

I believe the Voodoo Lab is 9V AC. Don’t quote me on that though. I spoke to the Voodoo Lab crew today, and that jibes with my recollection from the now dusty analog board Pedal Switch 4’s.

Thanks. Short of definitive confirmation, in a pinch that’s what I’ll do/use—I’ve likely got a couple laying around here.

I believe the Voodoo Lab is 9V AC. Don’t quote me on that though. I spoke to the Voodoo Lab crew today, and that jibes with my recollection from the now dusty analog board Pedal Switch 4’s.
I used to use Ground Control original and Pro with the Ground Link and the GCX switchers...

The GCX manual says it provides 9v AC.

I used to use Ground Control original and Pro with the Ground Link and the GCX switchers...

The GCX manual says it provides 9v AC.
Yup. Original Ground Control, two GCXs, three Pedal Switcher 4’s and one Control Switcher. The GCXs and the Pedal Switchers have existed separately for a long time, but my Landau 80’s rig obsession has me uniting them with a mess of pedals and mini-stereo line mixers.

I hooked up “Midi Solutions” Thru box to My early issue AxeFXIII and found out the AxeFXIII MIDI Out doesn’t have a shield ground on pin (Edit) ‘two’. This prevents external devices from getting parasite power to run “Midi Mergers” and “Thru boxes”.

The following might not be safe or advised, but I added a connection to my midi cable shield to the SPIDF-RCA-Ground shield to provide a ground reference to enable usage of “MIDI Solution” devices.

Why would I need this? I use an RJM-GT-16, a Roland-MIDI-USB cable and a Yamaha Bluetooth BT01 cable for FracpadIII. AxeFXIII MIDI runs fine with three parallel FX controllers.

Alternatively for getting MIDI parasite power from MIDI out, “MIDI Solutions” provides a “MIDI Power” box. I am curious why Fractal did not provide a shield ground on “MIDI Out”, which is standard for MIDI devices.

Cheers Brett.IMG_7832.jpegIMG_7831.jpeg

Last edited:
I hooked up “Midi Solutions” Thru box to My early issue AxeFXIII and found out the AxeFXIII MIDI Out doesn’t have a shield ground on pin one. This prevents external devices from getting parasite power to run “Midi Mergers” and “Thru boxes”.

The following might not be safe or advised, but I added a connection to my midi cable shield to the SPIDF-RCA-Ground shield to provide a ground reference to enable usage of “MIDI Solution” devices.

Why would I need this? I use an RJM-GT-16, a Roland-MIDI-USB cable and a Yamaha Bluetooth BT01 cable for FracpadIII. AxeFXIII MIDI runs fine with three parallel FX controllers.

Alternatively for getting MIDI parasite power from MIDI out, “MIDI Solutions” provides a “MIDI Power” box. I am curious why Fractal did not provide a shield ground on “MIDI Out”, which is standard for MIDI devices.

Cheers Brett.View attachment 142382View attachment 142383
Are you meaning "phantom power"?

I've never heard of "parasite power"...

Also, many (most) DIN connectors and cables are only wired for 3 pins (2,4,5).

Hi, (I mistaken pin-2 for pin-1 in my earlier post, edited and corrected - my bad).

As I understand Phantom power, like on the AxeFXIi uses pins 6 & 7, and can provide User-power on 7 pin din cables to power devices like the RJM-GT16.

Parasite power (a term I am using loosely) is the voltage between pin-2 (ground shield) and pin-4 (typically pulled up with a 220 ohm resistor to VCC (5vdc or 3.3vdc), this can provide 22 or 14 milliamps of parasite power, respectively, to run low power devices.

I use a line of devices by “Midi Solutions” for merging multiple midi inputs (Merger box) and to distribute midi outputs (Thru box) from AxeFXIII to multiple midi boxes.

Unfortunately my AxeFXIII does not provide a ground connection to pin-2 of Midi-out. So I hacked a ground connection into the AxeFXIII Midi-out cable.

For example this Midi circuit shows a shield ground on pin-2 of the Midi output.

This is explained in FAQ of Midi-Solutions.

IMG_7836.gif

Last edited:
unix-guy, I see the light, again my bad. Midi-out HAS A Ground connection on pin-2.

I was using a couple midi cables that did not carry a ground. The pin 2’s were open, so I cut the cable open to connect ground.

Thank you King of RTFM!

Back
Top Bottom