Does anyone know why the Axe-Change site doesn't have user reviews?

mngolf

Inspired
I think it would be enormously helpful to see how people rated the downloads and any comments they have.

you can start a thread in the lounge with ratings. build it and the comments will come
why not use what you already have? ;)

Also, reviews of sounds are by definition very subjective. You might think one is fantastic, while I might find it just a bunch of noise. Personally, I think it's better without reviews - all the files are tiny to download, and you can just set aside one preset slot to rotate them through and try them. If you don't like it, delete it. If you do like it, move it to a more permanent slot. That's the way I do it.

There is a "like" feature so you can provide feedback. But....the nature of the ambitious firmware update policy for FAS means a robust preset sharing community on par with what you find with competitors just isn't gonna happen. Most of the AxeFX III presets up there are for firmware versions old enough that the preset probably won't sound like what the preset author intended. You'll find a lot of interesting ideas in those presets, so they're not useless, but providing feedback to a preset created with firmware version 2 when you're running version 15 isn't going help the next person who is running version 16. It's a tradeoff. The firmware policy, that keeps it constantly moving forward in new directions, is awesome, but it makes it hard to build a preset sharing community.

If you already have fractal products..awesome!...if you're here looking into getting some, do it and be awesome!!!...end of review

I think there's a lot of good to be had in having a place that people can put their stuff up without criticism. It's like the rule of good brainstorming sessions: "there are no bad ideas," meaning it's counterproductive to shoot an idea down just because you don't like it when you first hear it. That inhibits creativity.

We've got these forums, and I think news of an awesome preset on AxeChange can bubble to the surface here.

TL;DR: I think it's not broke and doesn't need fixing.

There is a "like" feature so you can provide feedback. But....the nature of the ambitious firmware update policy for FAS means a robust preset sharing community on par with what you find with competitors just isn't gonna happen. Most of the AxeFX III presets up there are for firmware versions old enough that the preset probably won't sound like what the preset author intended. You'll find a lot of interesting ideas in those presets, so they're not useless, but providing feedback to a preset created with firmware version 2 when you're running version 15 isn't going help the next person who is running version 16. It's a tradeoff. The firmware policy, that keeps it constantly moving forward in new directions, is awesome, but it makes it hard to build a preset sharing community.

This. I’ve generally found the presets to be worthless due to how far outdated most are. The Periphery presets for the Axe II were cool back when they were current. That’s the last time I bothered downloading one.

Most of time i use downloaded presets as a base for my own preset.
Like a template that may be usefull.
It so depended what you use to amplify the preset sound.
Headphone
Frfr
Cab
And even a different headphone model make the difference that a preset sounds great for the one but has to be tweaked for another to sound great.

I know there are some search filters on Axe-Change to help find presets more closely aligned to a users own system, but aside from that there's also the issue of users having different guitars, pickups, strings and their own playing styles which means that often, some presets are just not going to sound good on other people's systems. This could potentially lead to negative feedback on a preset that isn't even relevant.

Last edited:
I think there's a lot of good to be had in having a place that people can put their stuff up without criticism. It's like the rule of good brainstorming sessions: "there are no bad ideas," meaning it's counterproductive to shoot an idea down just because you don't like it when you first hear it. That inhibits creativity.

We've got these forums, and I think news of an awesome preset on AxeChange can bubble to the surface here.

TL;DR: I think it's not broke and doesn't need fixing.
I agree with this.

Not everything benefits from popularity contest features.

Some good feedback here. The AxeFX III is the best gear purchase I have made in nearly 40 years of playing guitar. I have had mine a year and every day I am amazed at how good and is and even more blown away that it gets better with time. Incredible.

This. I’ve generally found the presets to be worthless due to how far outdated most are. The Periphery presets for the Axe II were cool back when they were current. That’s the last time I bothered downloading one.
All of those outdated AxeII presets are still current for the AxeII users out there.
I agree with this.

I agree. Hurt their feelings they may quit trying. That person who posts a “not so good” preset may turn into the person who churns out the best presets you’ve ever played.

I agree with this.

Oh god yes. This is a bit off topic, but I've been of the opinion for quite a few years now that "score-ifying" everything about our lives is one of the core problems of modern civilization (opening Pandora's box here lol)

Back
Top Bottom