Do I need to use an audio interface with AFX?

joegold said:
Stringtheorist said:
Thanks, I think I've got it now. I just need to know how to configure my Mac.

Meanwhile, you still haven't figured out why you can't hear any sound through your Mac when using the analog Outs of the Axe with the analog Ins of the Mac.

I didn't mention the analog outs as I know I can get a signal this way -- I just didn't like the results. Anyway, thanks for the info.

I thought I had a similar question to the O/P's.

I just acquired a new 13" MacBook Pro, and discovered the 3.5mm input jack accepts both analogue and digital. They describe it thusly:

"Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital output/headphone out with selectable analog audio line in"

I'm thinking that if for no other reason, I need an interface just to overcome the limitations of having a single combined jack regardless of it's being optical digital for monitoring, etc.

And I did see the reason of "better drivers" mentioned too. I'm going to assume that advantage outweighs any negatives from throwing another box in the route from AXE-FX to Mac.

Guess I need an S/PDIF interface after all. No, strike that....

Upon reconsideration, I'll just get a Duet and be done with it! Esp now that they throw in the 400/800 firewire cable for free. Maybe one of those Breakout boxes too.

Back
Top Bottom