Do FM9 presets work with FM3?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
Asking because I sent my FM9 pre set to a friend who uses the FM3 and he said it would not load in the Editor. What might he be missing? I went over the process of saving the syx file to his desktop or a folder and importing form there with no luck.

I don't know about directly, but you should be able to use FracTool to convert them. There are limitations to what the FM3 can support though since the FM9 can use more cabs, more amp blocks, etc.

Yes, they will, if they're compatible firmware and the preset doesn't rely on blocks that might be missing, or exceed the FM3's capabilities. I do it all the time.

Could he not load it/see it in the editor? Or was it visible in the Preset Manager's browser, but the editor refused to save the preset to a slot? Or, did it get mangled during the import?

Post the preset and we can take a look at it.

Yes, they will, if they're compatible firmware and the preset doesn't rely on blocks that might be missing, or exceed the FM3's capabilities. I do it all the time.

Could he not load it/see it in the editor? Or was it visible in the Preset Manager's browser, but the editor refused to save the preset to a slot? Or, did it get mangled during the import?

I'll post it when I get home. If I am on the latest FM9 FW what FW should the FM3 be? the latest (duh) I would guess?

Here it is and I will ck with my friend to make sure his FM3 is up to date, thanks!

Attachments

• HiDry parallel.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Here it is and I will ck with my friend to make sure his FM3 is up to date, thanks!
It can be imported by dragging it into the browser (left) pane in the Preset Manager, then dragged into a preset slot on the righthand side. So far so good.

The preset will be mangled because it isn't designed to meet the FM3 constraints. Here's what it looks like after being opened…
Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.25.33 PM.png
Rule #1, the preset MUST conform to the FM3's smaller 12x4 grid, otherwise blocks will be orphaned, and moved to the left side of the grid.

Loading the preset into the FX3, because it's the big sandbox, I see…
Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.30.23 PM.png
Again, you're exceeding the FM3's grid size.

Rule #2, the FM3 is capable but there's no reason to waste CPU by using lots of shunts. Reducing them results in…
Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.47.01 PM.png
If I remember right, it's even possible to do…
Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.49.30 PM.png
Because OUT blocks will send their input to the next block in the chain.

Now, importing that to the FM3 results in…
Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.52.48 PM.png
Notice the gap between Amp and Cab? That's because the FM3 doesn't have an OUT 3 block. At this point you'd want to move OUT 2 into that space, and use that to feed a solid-state power-amp and cabinet, because that's what it looks like you'd want to do with the layout, resulting in…
Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.55.54 PM.png
The modified presets are attached but untested, but that should give you enough to work with.

The Wiki has information about the differences between the three units, so study that and you should have no problems adapting FM9 presets to FM3, and maybe even some FX3 presets too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.50.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.50.59 PM.png
    802 KB · Views: 6
  • HiDryLUKEch 1 and 2.zip
    9.3 KB · Views: 8
Asking because I sent my FM9 pre set to a friend who uses the FM3 and he said it would not load in the Editor. What might he be missing? I went over the process of saving the syx file to his desktop or a folder and importing form there with no luck.

Yes, but a lot of FM9 presets have more blocks than what the FM3 can handle.

So what you are actually saying it's NOT a typical FAS forum response?:D

(BTW: I agree: very detailed and helpful. Even I understood it!)

So it seems the converse would be true, that (given the FW revs are both latest versions) FM3 presets can be imported into FM9 with little or no change?

So it seems the converse would be true, that (given the FW revs are both latest versions) FM3 presets can be imported into FM9 with little or no change?
Yes, FM3 --> FM9 is no problem, I do it often… with the caveat that right now the firmware is slightly out of sync, so some blocks or parameters might not exist in one or the other because the teams haven't finished their updates, or a block might not sound exactly the same because the modeling code hasn't been updated.

When the firmware is in sync then presets should move from the FM3 to the FM9 without problems.

Yes, FM3 --> FM9 is no problem, I do it often… with the caveat that right now the firmware is slightly out of sync, so some blocks or parameters might not exist in one or the other because the teams haven't finished their updates, or a block might not sound exactly the same because the modeling code hasn't been updated.

When the firmware is in sync then presets should move from the FM3 to the FM9 without problems.
Got it. Thanks!

Popping in here having acquired an FM9T recently, and looking to migrate a preset over to my bandmate's FM3. Super helpful to have a graphical review of all the steps. Muchisimas gracias @Greg Ferguson that was exactly what I needed!

Back
Top Bottom