DIY Dual Momentary Switch Tutortial

RevDrucifer

Fractal Fanatic
I like to tinker with stuff and enjoy the learning process when it comes to stuff I haven't done before. Figured I'd post it up here in case anyone wanted to go through the process of building a couple switches for their FC. It's a stupidly easy project. I can turn a solder iron into a wrecking ball just by looking at it, but it's something I've really wanted to get better with and I think I did a pretty tight job with these. It's also cheap!

Parts-

Enclosures

I figured these would be the perfect size as I was pretty sure that's what I've seen others have on their boards and the ones you see pop up on Amazon. They are indeed a perfect size (I've got a size 13 foot, no problem hitting them directly) The step drill came in handy.

Footswitches

Nice and smooth, not much to say about them. They're switches.

Stereo Jack

I didn't end up using this wire as it was too thick. Had some left over from a pickup wiring harness and used that instead. MUCH easier to work with.
Stuff.jpg

I just eyed everything out instead of measuring. I knew I'd ballpark it close enough. They aren't perfect, but I can barely notice standing above them.
AfterDrilling.jpg

Dry fit from the inside- Angling the footswitches gave better access with the solder iron and put some distance between them and the jack.
StuffInserted.jpg

I figured it'd be smarter to wire the grounds before fixing it in place, the least amount of soldering I had to do in the box, the better. Wrecking balls don't fit in these.
Soldering.jpg
(If you're using the Pure Tone jack, the ground is the smaller, square prong)

Since I normally can't be trusted with a solder iron, I actually wanted to do a good job to show myself I could. A pep-talk with a hot iron did the trick.
Grounds.jpg

After that it's just finishing the last two wires and Bob's your uncle.
Wired.jpg

wired2.jpg

Done!
Done.jpg
(Those aren't drug baggies, I SWEAR)

Tested them out with the Looper layout (first time I used the Looper, too) and they're both working great. Later this week I'm building a pedalboard. It'll be an easy one, just a flat board with the aluminum edging and some handles, but I'll throw up a how-to for that. I've realized along the way some people might be more inclined to build something on their own, instead of paying for it, if they see how easily it can be done (and cheap!).

Hope this helps for any of you considering doing it on your own. It's simple enough you can't really screw it up, but challenging enough with the tight wiring that you'll feel good about pulling it off after. And who doesn't like to pat themselves on the back every now and then?

These will be used for Tuner/Tap and Bank Up/Down. I haven't thought about their Hold functions yet. I'm building a single momentary switch to turn my Digitech Freqout on and off as I use it so much I don't want it taking up it's own footswitch on my FC6. It's basically doing this, but half!

Attachments

• Grounds.jpg
    Grounds.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 9
  • StuffInserted.jpg
    StuffInserted.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 10
I'm interested in where to get aluminum edging. I couldn't find a size that fit my board.

Wow, very cool.
So I'm new and I'm trying to understand what they are and their usage.
Basically each of them are actually 2 switches, one "button" can be used for like a Tap time and the other "button"... lets say switch scenes, what ever you configure them to do in the AXE Edit software.
Kenny

Wow, very cool.
Basically each of them are actually 2 switches, one "button" can be used for like a Tap time and the other "button"... lets say switch scenes, what ever you configure them to do in the AXE Edit software.
Kenny
Yep, that's correct. 👍

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen! Hopefully tomorrow I can get to the board.

I'm interested in where to get aluminum edging. I couldn't find a size that fit my board.

I've found it at most Home Depots. Aluminum Trim Channel My local mom and pop hardware store also carries it. Cheap, too.

You generally buy it in long lengths and cut them to size. That's the trickiest part about it; making clean cuts so every edge lines up properly and snug. Definitely don't use a handsaw unless you've got a jig and a the saw is in great shape. I learned my lesson when I caught my foot on a sharp edge that wasn't snug against the the other strip and cut my toe open.

Wow, very cool.
Kenny

Yep. I just need to figure out how to program it!

NICE! I need to remember how thick my board is. Thanks.

They generally have it in 1/2”, 3/4” and 1”. It comes in 8‘ lengths. I grabbed one this morning while buying some stuff for work, along with the handles. I forgot about the rubber feet until I was half-way back to work, so I’m taking off a few minutes early to go grab some.

Back when we were getting prepped for Hurricane Irma, we just bought our house and didn’t have hurricane shutters. All the big stores sell out of the cheap plywood first, so the only thing available was 3/4” Baltic Birch plywood. I probably could have paid to have shutters installed with the amount of money I spent on that damn plywood. I have a bunch of it in my shed and took a piece out on my lunch break to dry out a bit (our shed has a leaky roof). After I mow my lawn tonight I’ll jump on the pedalboard project and have it all posted tonight. (Unless it starts dumping buckets)

You generally buy it in long lengths and cut them to size. That's the trickiest part about it; making clean cuts so every edge lines up properly and snug.

This is extremely easy as Aluminum can be cut with a wood saw blade on a table saw or miter saw. Using either of those, you will get perfectly straight cuts and the same length, every time. You then sand the edges just a bit with some 220 sand paper or a metal file.

That's a good video to get an idea of how do cut, sand and weld aluminum. It's a fun project and how I did mine.

This is extremely easy as Aluminum can be cut with a wood saw blade on a table saw or miter saw. Using either of those, you will get perfectly straight cuts and the same length, every time. You then sand the edges just a bit with some 220 sand paper or a metal file.

That's a good video to get an idea of how do cut, sand and weld aluminum. It's a fun project and how I did mine.

Yeah, I just spent 4-5 hours fucking up the channeling I bought using a hacksaw and a miter box. I’m going up to my dad’s tomorrow to use either his band saw or table saw to make the cuts as I just about threw everything across my backyard.

Yeah, I just spent 4-5 hours fucking up the channeling I bought using a hacksaw and a miter box. I’m going up to my dad’s tomorrow to use either his band saw or table saw to make the cuts as I just about threw everything across my backyard.

Oh, crap. Sorry to hear that! Yeah, I can see how trying to hand saw it would be a pain. Hopefully tomorrow will go better. It is an enjoyable project. You probably send as much as you would on a normal pedal board, but there's something better about being DIY. :D

FYI - I really went DIY because I ran cables inside the tubing and put 4 switches inside the front square tube. That way they were built-in and I didn't have two extra boxes. I ran the cables out the back to some jacks that went into my FC-6.

Good luck!

Oh, crap. Sorry to hear that! Yeah, I can see how trying to hand saw it would be a pain. Hopefully tomorrow will go better. It is an enjoyable project. You probably send as much as you would on a normal pedal board, but there's something better about being DIY. :D

FYI - I really went DIY because I ran cables inside the tubing and put 4 switches inside the front square tube. That way they were built-in and I didn't have two extra boxes. I ran the cables out the back to some jacks that went into my FC-6.

Good luck!

That’s awesome!! Clever and the cables will be protected for sure!

Occasionally I get frustrated over little stuff, mainly because I’m regular repairing/working on much bigger and technical things at work, so when something as simple as this has flaws I sometimes turn into a baby. When it comes to DIY stuff, really everything in my life is DIY. I’m a Chief Engineer at a large property, so I’m constantly fixing stuff, figuring out problems or one of my employees will teach me something and then I’ll apply it all at home. I haven’t gotten my hair cut at a barber shop in about 20 years. :D

I’ll get them done tomorrow as long as my father answers my messages. This is what I get for buying a cheap, plastic miter box and using a thin hacksaw blade. It was just bending too much to keep things cut straight.

Back
Top Bottom