Direct-mounting EMG SA's

Sorenspete

Inspired
As some of you will have seen, I expect to take delivery of an HSS Caparison Dellinger SE in the coming weeks (hopefully days). I'm pretty keen to go with the same EMG 85 + SLV + SLV set I put in my AmPro II Strat (Except black/grey). Problem is you're likely to receive an SA/SLV with threaded brass inserts on the tabs for use with a pickguard, not direct-mounting into the guitar body itself. Does anyone have a way of installing SA-style EMG's they could recommend? I know FU-Tone makes brass brackets that sit on the bottom of the pickup rout which require holes drilled in the body of the guitar to mount...

As some of you will have seen, I expect to take delivery of an HSS Caparison Dellinger SE in the coming weeks (hopefully days). I'm pretty keen to go with the same EMG 85 + SLV + SLV set I put in my AmPro II Strat (Except black/grey). Problem is you're likely to receive an SA/SLV with threaded brass inserts on the tabs for use with a pickguard, not direct-mounting into the guitar body itself. Does anyone have a way of installing SA-style EMG's they could recommend? I know FU-Tone makes brass brackets that sit on the bottom of the pickup rout which require holes drilled in the body of the guitar to mount...

Sorry for the tangent, but I have to ask two questions I've really wanted to know about this HSS set:

How is the volume balance between the SLVs and the 85?

If you dial back the neck SLV with the volume knob, can you remotely approximate a good Strat neck tone?

Sorry for the tangent, but I have to ask two questions I've really wanted to know about this HSS set:

How is the volume balance between the SLVs and the 85?

If you dial back the neck SLV with the volume knob, can you remotely approximate a good Strat neck tone?
Good question. I never noticed a massive discrepancy between the bridge and the singles. Wouldn't be surprised to learn that there is one, but if that's true then it's hard to notice. Just my mileage.

Good question. I never noticed a massive discrepancy between the bridge and the singles. Wouldn't be surprised to learn that there is one, but if that's true then it's hard to notice. Just my mileage.

Cool, do you ever dial back the SLVs with the volume knob? If so, how is the tone dialed back?

The output difference is quite large IME. Rolling the volume pot on EMG gives you a liner drop in gain that is similar to lowering the gain on your amp. Not much of a tonal change other that how the amp responds because of the buffered signal from the pickup coil.

I installed a set of EMG-X in my Suhr Standard Legacy with HSS that are direct mount, the one in my avatar. I just used a small tapered round file to carefully enlarge the screw holes on the pickups, just enough to allow the mounting screws to pass through.

I installed a set of EMG-X in my Suhr Standard Legacy with HSS that are direct mount, the one in my avatar. I just used a small tapered round file to carefully enlarge the screw holes on the pickups, just enough to allow the mounting screws to pass through.
I like to find a very fine screw that I can use that doesn't require the thread to be damaged in case I want to put the pickups in something else down the line.

The output difference is quite large IME. Rolling the volume pot on EMG gives you a liner drop in gain that is similar to lowering the gain on your amp. Not much of a tonal change other that how the amp responds because of the buffered signal from the pickup coil.

You mean the difference between the 85 and the SLV is big? Interesting. I know about the linear drop in gain, but I have no idea how that translates in the real world to how it reacts with an amp, since input level is such a determining factor in any tone. Like, if you have tone and volume at 10, with a great pushed tone from some Fender amp, for example, then you roll down the volume and tone to taste, I wonder about what you get for tone then. I've tried to find answers, but there are absolutely no examples anywhere, and nothing I could find on forums, I'm sure since most people do not ride their knobs.

Sorry again OP for this tangent!

You mean the difference between the 85 and the SLV is big? Interesting. I know about the linear drop in gain, but I have no idea how that translates in the real world to how it reacts with an amp, since input level is such a determining factor in any tone. Like, if you have tone and volume at 10, with a great pushed tone from some Fender amp, for example, then you roll down the volume and tone to taste, I wonder about what you get for tone then. I've tried to find answers, but there are absolutely no examples anywhere, and nothing I could find on forums, I'm sure since most people do not ride their knobs.

Sorry again OP for this tangent!
Use the active tone controls you can add. The passive tone on EMG is a waste of space anyway unless you like the treble to sharply dip at the beginning of the range. Gilmour and Knopfler both had active tones in their EMG guitars. Metal guys with 81s just make sure everything is on full. :tearsofjoy:

So the stock EMG's didn't have the threaded brass insert?

Back
Top Bottom