Differences between AF3 and FM9

Valgua

Inspired
Hi!

I’m trying to decide wether I should wait for the FM9 or buy the Axe Fx 3 Turbo. I’m not a gigging guitarist, just a very enthusiastic bedroom player who loves chasing tones and learning as much as possible about playing guitar. Portability is therefore less important to me than tonal possibilities.

At the moment I play on the FM3, which I adore. However, I would love to experiment with dual amps. The FM9 allows that.
My question is if the Axe Fx 3 allows for even more options.

Please, don’t misunderstand me: I know that the Axe Fx 3 is more powerful and thus allows for more blocks. My question is if there are options within the blocks that only the Axe Fx 3 allows and wether they make a sufficiently significant difference. For instance, I recently learned that the Axe Fx 3 has cab smoothing and full res IRs. It sounds impressive, but I don’t know wether they make a big enough difference to pay 800 euros more for the Axe Fx compared to the FM9.

Sounds like if you get an FM9 you’ll still eventually wonder what the Axe3 can do (regardless of what people may say here).

Personally I think the FM9 does a lot. But the Axe3 does some things a bit better if you don’t need the portability trade off.

I’d get an Axe3 if you can.

I agree with Chris’ comments. In my opinion, the FM9 is about 90-95% the modeler that the FX3 is, but that remaining bit can make or break the sound for some people.

I have all three units, they have their places in the FAS ecosystem, and if I was only at home, out of convenience, I’d probably use the FX3. That’s not saying the other two would be incapable of creating a particular sound I was after, it’s just that I get tired of sitting on the floor twiddling knobs on occasion. I’m lazy and prefer to lean over and twiddle the knobs. It’s all the fault of the current guitar in my lap. :)

Yes, the FX3 has more tonal opportunities, but they are esoteric and, where they were removed from the other units it was because Fractal decided they were not essential for creating a great sound; they were icing on the cake, or colors in the icing. The Wiki has a comparison of the current fleet of FAS modelers which might help.

Finally, if you are trying to experiment with dual amps, is it in a live playing situation (at home or on stage doesn’t matter) or when recording? The ability to build a dual amp rig is more important when playing live where we don’t have the opportunity of re-amping a track. Given the time and a decent DAW and an FM3 I suspect that the final sound could be indistinguishable from what could be made using the FX3 or FM9. It’s spending the time to make that happen that becomes the issue.

I agree with Chris’ comments. In my opinion, the FM9 is about 90-95% the modeler that the FX3 is, but that remaining bit can make or break the sound for some people.

I have all three units, they have their places in the FAS ecosystem, and if I was only at home, out of convenience, I’d probably use the FX3. That’s not saying the other two would be incapable of creating a particular sound I was after, it’s just that I get tired of sitting on the floor twiddling knobs on occasion. I’m lazy and prefer to lean over and twiddle the knobs. It’s all the fault of the current guitar in my lap. :)

Yes, the FX3 has more tonal opportunities, but they are esoteric and, where they were removed from the other units it was because Fractal decided they were not essential for creating a great sound; they were icing on the cake, or colors in the icing. The Wiki has a comparison of the current fleet of FAS modelers which might help.

Finally, if you are trying to experiment with dual amps, is it in a live playing situation (at home or on stage doesn’t matter) or when recording? The ability to build a dual amp rig is more important when playing live where we don’t have the opportunity of re-amping a track. Given the time and a decent DAW and an FM3 I suspect that the final sound could be indistinguishable from what could be made using the FX3 or FM9. It’s spending the time to make that happen that becomes the issue.
Thanks to you all for the great inputs! Hard choices but pleasant ones!
To clarify about dual amps: my interest is merely in the tones you can get either by using two amps in stereo that compliment each other or by putting stereo effects in front of the amp without them getting collapsed to mono.

Reactions: C-4
Thanks to you all for the great inputs! Hard choices but pleasant ones!
To clarify about dual amps: my interest is merely in the tones you can get either by using two amps in stereo that compliment each other or by putting stereo effects in front of the amp without them getting collapsed to mono.
I am no longer playing live after doing so for 62 years, due to Covid, although I still have my full time day job. This will be my first Fractal attempt, and I am very digitally handicapped. However, I have been doing my homework and am now thinking about going for the AFX III, but I have been on the FM9 list for about one month, so I have plenty of time to consider my situation.

I'm sure I would never use nearly what is available from the AXE III, but as Cooper Carter has said, just use what you want from the unit and enjoy it. The FM3 does not interest me at all. I'd rather have the power and not need it, then to need the power and not have it. ;)

stereo effects in front of the amps
That's how I play. For home use, in capabilities and performance, the Axe-Fx III is certainly worthy of it flagship title.

The other consideration is availability. You can't know at this moment when you'd be able to get an FM9, and the Axe-Fx III is available right now.

A footnote on that, don't wait if you don't have to -- we expect to sell out of Axe-Fx IIIs before we can re-supply, and then there will be a waitlist.

With previous modelers I really thought i missed out on not being able to use two amps at the same time like I did live. The AF3 can do it, it can do anything you want. ;) I found out though that I’m really not using two amps about 99 percent of the time. It’s a rabbit hole and there are easier ways to achieve the sound you’re after, with less issues.

Back
Top Bottom