Difference in presence through different amplification

Help me understand.

Trying an Axe Fx III through different amplification methods. I've run through Matrix Elements Fr10 (FRFR), EV Zxa1 (2 way powered PA speaker), EH 44 Magnum pedal power amp + cheap passive 2-way PA speaker, and tube power amp through guitar cab.
The Matrix FR and EV PA speakers have the blanket over the speaker sound - lacking presence. The cheap EH pedal amp through cheap passive sounds much more present (really great actually!) - closer to the tube power amp through guitar cab. Why do the FRFR and NICE powered PA speakers sounds less present than the pedal power amp and cheap PA speaker?

Thanks for any help in understanding.

are you changing if cab sims or power amp sims are on/off among the different setups?

are you changing if cab sims or power amp sims are on/off among the different setups?
I'm trying basically everything in every setup. I understand that cab sim should not be on when using guitar cabs and that power amp on/off may or may not need to be off depending on the power amp.

Hi,
In reality, you are comparing amplification and speakers. This provides many parameters that can change your sound significantly with speaker attributes such as dispersion, phase, and frequency response, and amplifier attributes such as distortion, slew rate, and (again) frequency response.
I’m not sure I can give you an answer as to why your presets sound better using the cheaper speakers. Is it possible you created them on those (or similar) speakers, thus making them sound more like you’d expect? If so, use some unmodified factory presets for your testing and that may shake up the results a little.

Thanks
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom