Difference between FBT verve 12m & 12ma?

roodboy

Inspired
From what I see the specs are similar except the 12ma is biamped, & has a feq range high end of 20kHz as opposed to the 12m of 18kHz. My questions is would a 12m with a power amp sound the same?
Any suggestions on a power amp if it does?

I do not think they would sound the same. For one thing, the highs and lows are amplified at different power levels in the active speaker.

I am not sure the 12m has the coaxial speaker. The coaxial B&C drivers are insanely good based on my experience with the 8ma.

Does the 12MA have any inherent power limiting / protection circuit the way the QSC K12 does?

That would be my concern using an external power amp on a 12M, because you don't want to blow the driver.

The price difference is so small, it seems the powered on is an easy choice.

roodboy said:
The specs show both with 12" custom designed B&C coaxial speaker.

That's new. When I ordered my 12ma's the "m" version had two seperate drivers. I guess the company realized the coaxial driver was better.

The powered wedge was the better choice for me based on weight. I fly with my gear often and can't have any single piece weigh more than 50lbs. If I used passive monitors, they would weigh less but my rack would weigh more and be over 50lbs. Even for driving gigs, I don't want to lift anything more than 50lbs.

I think the 12m does have a coaxial speaker. I have one, and there's only one speaker in it, if I recall. (Im at work at the moment)

It sounds great to me, I went for the passive because that way I can use the SLA amp in my rack with either FRFR or a guitar cab.

But I have the heaviest 4 space rack of my life now... schlepping that thing around sucks

gdgross said:
I think the 12m does have a coaxial speaker. I have one, and there's only one speaker in it, if I recall. (Im at work at the moment)

It sounds great to me, I went for the passive because that way I can use the SLA amp in my rack with either FRFR or a guitar cab.

But I have the heaviest 4 space rack of my life now... schlepping that thing around sucks
Which SLA are you using?

Back
Top Bottom