difference between cuts within cab block (cab section vs preamp section)?

D

dean701

Tried to find elsewhere but couldn't find it.
Within the cab block, in the main section "cab" there are low and high cuts. There are also cuts listed in the "preamp" section. Can someone please explain the difference?
To add regarding the preamp hi/lo cuts, within the fractal audio wiki, it states that "LOW CUT, HIGH CUT and FILTER SLOPE are independent of the preamp. If the preamp simulation is switched off, LOW CUT and HIGH CUT are still fully operational."
Hence my confusion,

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use two cabs you can have different cuts for each of them in the main section. I believe the cuts you make in the preamp section apply to both cabs. Having said that, I’m also somewhat curious. Pretty sure there’s a difference, and someone somewhere will know this, read this post and reply……..

The preamp cuts would be an input EQ when the preamp is enabled in the cab block. The main cab block cuts would be an output eq for the cab block even if the preamp is not enabled.

The preamp cuts would be an input EQ when the preamp is enabled in the cab block. The main cab block cuts would be an output eq for the cab block even if the preamp is not enabled.
actually, no, it states in the wiki that the preamp cuts are active all of the time regardless of whether the preamp is active or not. that is why it is so confusing on why there are multiple options. I watched a Rosh Roslin yt tutorial where he used the preamp cuts instead.

From wiki.
the preamp tone controls are the same as the "3 Band Console" type in the Graphic EQ block. [60] The tone controls are applied AFTER the selected preamp type. [61]
Important: LOW CUT, HIGH CUT and FILTER SLOPE are independent of the preamp. If the preamp simulation is switched off, LOW CUT and HIGH CUT are still fully operational.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the block diagram in the Blocks Guide you'll also see that the individual IR slot EQs are before the Preamp EQs.

Personally I often mix 2 IRs and I make a global correction with the EQ of the preamp, the preamp is Off.
It's easier and more efficient that way.

The EQ function in the main area CAB Block,
IRs include time and frequencies in the range from 20 to 20KHz. To limit the sound image to the reproduction of a real CAB, mostly between 80 to 6000Hz is possible here.

Edit: 2112@ Often uses this to make the sound more direct,

To further adjust the sound image there is the possibility to switch a virtual mic with a preamp behind it.
And to influence the sound of the preamp there is a tone control.

This is how I understand this.

Last edited:
Tried to find elsewhere but couldn't find it.
Within the cab block, in the main section "cab" there are low and high cuts. There are also cuts listed in the "preamp" section. Can someone please explain the difference?
To add regarding the preamp hi/lo cuts, within the fractal audio wiki, it states that "LOW CUT, HIGH CUT and FILTER SLOPE are independent of the preamp. If the preamp simulation is switched off, LOW CUT and HIGH CUT are still fully operational."
Hence my confusion,

On the main page the low/high cut parameters operate per IR.

Whereas on the Preamp page they operate on the entire range. The controls are probably just placed that page for convenience, but it is a little confusing.

In both cases the low/high cut controls are not impacted by the on/off state or other preamp simulation parameters in the Cab block.

They’re all different. They’re not duplicates and they’re not there by mistake. Cutting bass at the input section of an amp is different than cutting it at the output and different still from cutting after the cabinet (IR). I play with them all.

They’re all different. They’re not duplicates and they’re not there by mistake. Cutting bass at the input section of an amp is different than cutting it at the output and different still from cutting after the cabinet (IR). I play with them all.
This post is only about the Cab block... Which has 2 sets of EQs.

This post is only about the Cab block... Which has 2 sets of EQs.
Whoops haha!
Still, the same principle is true that a high or low cut used in a different part of the chain will yield a different result.

If you use a preamp, it can generate some harmonic overtones and undertones and having those cuts could become necessary even though you used them per IR before the preamp.

Last edited:
Whoops haha!
Still, the same principle is true that a high or low cut used in a different part of the chain will yield a different result.

If you use a preamp, it can generate some harmonic overtones and undertones and having those cuts could become necessary even though you used them per IR before the preamp.
Yek answered the question correctly. Thanks again yek.

The High and Low Cuts on the individual IRs are before the Preamp Simulation and can affect the breakup character of the virtual preamp. The block wide High and Low Cuts on the Preamp Page are located after the Preamp and Room simulations. They also have a wider range as the Low Cut can go all the way up to 2 kHz and the High cut can go all the way down to 200 Hz. The limits of the individual IR filters are the opposite. It is possible to get different results from the two different sets of filters.

Last edited:
The High and Low Cuts on the individual IRs are before the Preamp Simulation and can affect the breakup character of the virtual preamp. The block wide High and Low Cuts on the Preamp Page are located after the Preamp and Room simulations. They also have a wider range as the Low Cut can go all the way up to 2 kHz and the High cut can go all the way down to 200 Hz. The limits of the individual IR filters are the opposite. It is possible to get different results from the two different sets of filters.
Exactly (what I was poorly alluding to). They’re not just the same filters on two different tabs for convenience.

Back
Top Bottom