Did gig w/ Verve 8ma as full "PA"... ha ha

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
I cranked 80hz and it sounded "small" until I turned it up, then the 8ma started doing it's "puffer fish" thing w/ the low end and filled out the room really well. Like the puffer fish, there's a tipping point, and you know when you hit it. Interesting experiment. The help staff felt the same way sounded "small" then turned up "sounds really good now".

So if you want the lows below 100hz, you gotta crank em on an eq and get the Verve working then out it comes :)

Re: Did gig w/ Verve 8ma as pull "PA"... ha ha

I got stuck last night doing a gig with the 8ma as my sole backline point of sound from the stage.... again! Ahahghghggg! Really small stage, so it was jammed behind me aimed at the back of my knees. I could hear; but it was not an ideal situation (we also had no monitor feed on stage except vocals). As is the norm, we soldiered on through the mess. These clubs sometimes have the nicest rooms, but absolutely zero for a FOH PA. It's very frustrating.

Granted, this is an acoustically based situation in this band (thank goodness!) The 8ma did yeoman's work from folks that were in the crowd (other musicians that came out to check me in this band). The 8ma works well, and fares FAR better than I could have imagined in this role, but it simply isn't what it is designed to do IMHO.

I continue to be utterly overwhelmingly impressed with the performance of this little monitor.

I am now awaiting the 12ma and once that shows will carry both to each gig moving forward for situations like this. Then I can use the 12ma out front or behind me as backline and the 8ma as a monitor shooting backward from in front of me at my freaking head.

What is up with all these clubs and these completely crap (or simply non-existent) PA systems?? Sorry for the tangent rant, but it's a pisser!

Scott Peterson said:
What is up with all these clubs and these completely crap (or simply non-existent) PA systems?? Sorry for the tangent rant, but it's a pisser!
Welcome to the dumbing down/decline of live music. No one gives a s*** at those venues because they grew up with poor or non-existent music programs at their schools, and the venues don't value the live music like they used to (sometimes the cause is the same -- it's not always the convenient "oh it's economy" excuse). IMHO Scott, it's the propagation of ignorance showing it's ugly, clueless head.

solo-act said:
[quote="Scott Peterson":2imamttn]What is up with all these clubs and these completely crap (or simply non-existent) PA systems?? Sorry for the tangent rant, but it's a pisser!
Welcome to the dumbing down/decline of live music. No one gives a s*** at those venues because they grew up with poor or non-existent music programs at their schools, and the venues don't value the live music like they used to (sometimes the cause is the same -- it's not always the convenient "oh it's economy" excuse). IMHO Scott, it's the propagation of ignorance showing it's ugly, clueless head.[/quote:2imamttn]

I hear that.

Last night's room was purpose built for hosting live music. They just finished it in the past few months. Small room, but nice. Except the stage was tiny and.... no PA other than some utterly outdated and beat-to-heck equipment (powered Yorkville 8 channel PA with two blown channels and some no-name speakers for "FOH").

Ugg.

Scott Peterson said:
I continue to be utterly overwhelmingly impressed with the performance of this little monitor.

I am now awaiting the 12ma and once that shows will carry both to each gig moving forward for situations like this. Then I can use the 12ma out front or behind me as backline and the 8ma as a monitor shooting backward from in front of me at my freaking head.

Makes me thinking: A 15MA, a 12MA and an 8MA on top of each other would make a nice rig :mrgreen:

Scott Peterson said:
I hear that.

Last night's room was purpose built for hosting live music. They just finished it in the past few months. Small room, but nice. Except the stage was tiny and.... no PA other than some utterly outdated and beat-to-heck equipment (powered Yorkville 8 channel PA with two blown channels and some no-name speakers for "FOH").

Ugg.
Sounds like they might have blown all their budget on the room build-out.

Here's a pic from the show I am talking about. Note the speakers above; they are not working.

4286_1164729275378_1142252605_30466200_5793065_n.jpg

solo-act said:
[quote="Scott Peterson":38wtp4k1]Here's a pic from the show I am talking about. Note the speakers above; they are not working.
Four words: bigger stages, speaker stands ;)[/quote:38wtp4k1]

WORD!

Back
Top Bottom