Dial in a better humbucker tone on a P-90

Chrose1201

Inspired
Ok so not quite like the title would suggest. I play in a dual guitar band doing mostly southern and classic rock. I had been using my 2001 LP Classic. I got Austin Buddys Live Gold and have been using the '59 Bassman preset. The humbucker scenes I thought made the 2 guitars a little muddy so I switched to the single coil scenes and it sounded pretty good. However I stuill didn't think I was cutting through enough or playing clean enough when we did things like Eagles or Tom Petty tunes so I got myself a 2018 Gibson SG Jr with a single P-90. It sounds great on the semi clean stuff and on the 3rd scene (or 6th if you add in the humbucker scenes) it has a nice clean OD tone which can make it growl cleanly. However I felt like it was missing some meat and/or warmth like on the Allman Bros stuff. On a whim to see if I was on the right tone wise with what I was thinking I found a guitar at the store with 2 P-90s. In the bridge position I had the familiar "quack" like tone from the P-90 with a hint of OD, but when I switched on both P-90s I got a real nice warmth to it. That's what I was looking for. The problem is that I just dropped a ton on a new acoustic and don't want to get another SG, nor get rid of the Jr to fund it! I also don't want to do a lot of tap dancing on the FM3, I have a hard enough time with 2 scenes and a boost button :D
I could add a 3rd scene probably without too much heartburn. I would love to hear any suggestions on how I might turn one P-90 into the sound of two!

Thanks!

I run P90’s a lot and they’re my favorite pickups. Just make presets for them and color them the way you like. Use the post eq to bump the bottom and turn down the the treble in the preamp. Leslie West Mississippi Queen. Sounds huge and that’s P90. Dial back the guitar tone a bit. I use the Ruby quite a bit and some of the other Wreck types with the Klon to kick it harder. Lower the tone on the Klon and set drive to taste. Pick an IR that has bottom.

I run P90’s a lot and they’re my favorite pickups. Just make presets for them and color them the way you like. Use the post eq to bump the bottom and turn down the the treble in the preamp. Leslie West Mississippi Queen. Sounds huge and that’s P90. Dial back the guitar tone a bit. I use the Ruby quite a bit and some of the other Wreck types with the Klon to kick it harder. Lower the tone on the Klon and set drive to taste. Pick an IR that has bottom.
What IRs do you like in this context?

Back
Top Bottom