Def leppard

inkeyes

Inspired
My covers band is looking to play some Def Leppard.
After a little research i see they use Randall amps, these are not in the axe-fx, any one know what the closest thing to one is?

Is it more of a bristish high gain sound or does it have more of a mesa thing?

Any pointers are appreciated, i dont really know where to start.

Those guys use Marshall Jmp-1 preamps live from what I understand, that one is in the Axe-Fx. A Randall would be a nice addition to the amp arsenal for sure though but with all the goodies that Cliff throws out at us I am satisfied.

If you are looking to emulate a randall type tone then you could try turning down the poweramp settings Sag and warmth etc.. try get a more 'soild state' type sound.

I play Pour Some Sugar On Me in my band and I am currently using a patch with the Euro2 amp but I didn't set out to emulate the original sound I just like the Euro2 for a nice high gain tone. Hope this helps.

Spence

Which Def Leppard tone are you looking for ? If you're looking for thee Def Leppard tone it's most likely their (modded) Rockmans. Unfortunately not in the Axe (but on the wishlist since quite some time). Yes, afterwards they also used JMP-1s and Randall, but that's not really the Leppard tone imho...

inkeyes said:
which amp sim do you mean? i dont recognise the name LA Metal

Its the one that cliff made, I.e it's not exactly modeled on any particular amp. I'm pretty sure it's actually called "LA Metal" in the axe. Not at my aparent tonight, so I can't make sure.

ah, you must mean one of the FAS models, there is one just called 'Metal' is that the one?

To be honest im not after any specific sound from a certain song, im after a more generic Def Leppard ish sound but wasn't sure which amp type would be a good starting point. Is it typically a marshally kind of sound or more of a mesa or soldano thing going on?

Here is a Pyromania-era preset that someone posted on the old Axe-Change. It is for 6.x firmware. I still have it loaded on my 7.x firmware running Axe-FX standard and it sounds pretty good for not having an actual Rockman model in the Axe-Fx. I don't know how it sounds when running 8.x firmware, so try it out and see what happens. Apologies to whomever created this that I can't credit you since I don't have the author's name in the file name or anything.

[attachment=0:rknr0wbu]Pyromania.zip[/attachment:rknr0wbu]

Regards,
Jeff

Attachments

• Pyromania.zip
    493 bytes · Views: 185
Back
Top Bottom