(Death Metal) 8 String Track (USA Lead 2 & SLO 100)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9723795

EDIT: Link updated with newest mix/master

Just a little song/track I pieced together today.

Guitar is an Agile Intrepid 828 with an 18v EMG 808 (USA LEAD 2). The little lead overdub is done with my JP7 (SLO100). Superior 2.0 for the drums. Schecter Stilleto Studio 5 (DI and ampeg SVX blended) for the bass.

Hope you enjoy it.

I like the riff and arrangement.
Not sure if the mix was deliberately on the lower-fi side (as a lot of black metal seems to be) but I found it to sound somewhat distant and lacking in sparkle in the treble end of the EQ. Was it deliberate?
If it was, cool, it's just my taste, I guess - I never understood the black metal ethos of keeping the mix lo-fi.

soularflair said:
I like the riff and arrangement.
Not sure if the mix was deliberately on the lower-fi side (as a lot of black metal seems to be) but I found it to sound somewhat distant and lacking in sparkle in the treble end of the EQ. Was it deliberate?
If it was, cool, it's just my taste, I guess - I never understood the black metal ethos of keeping the mix lo-fi.

Nah not at all, I wouldn't ever consider it black metal either, more death metal with a deathcore tinge in the beginning. It doesn't really sound lo-fi to me though. Is it anything particular that is lacking sparkle or brilliance? Or just the whole mix in general? Because I've listened through a lot of different devices and it doesn't sound lo-fi to me? Maybe not a super professional mix as I'm kind of a noob but nothing sounds too muddy or cluttered to my ears.

But that's why I'm posting it here, so I can get tips on how to improve :p

Necrophagist777 said:
Nah not at all, I wouldn't ever consider it black metal either, more death metal with a deathcore tinge in the beginning. It doesn't really sound lo-fi to me though. Is it anything particular that is lacking sparkle or brilliance? Or just the whole mix in general? Because I've listened through a lot of different devices and it doesn't sound lo-fi to me? Maybe not a super professional mix as I'm kind of a noob but nothing sounds too muddy or cluttered to my ears.

It sounds like the mix is a little "distant", if that makes any sense? Perhaps it's the reverb settings you used.
EQ-wise, the snare drum in particular stands out to me as sounding quite dark, and needing more "crack" and high end snap. And overall, the whole mix could use some high end EQ...for my taste, but maybe that's just me.
As an aside (assuming you don't have it already), you might wanna check out the Steinberg Spectralizer plugin - it's awesome for adding upper harmonics to parts. When used carefully it's amazing what it can do to help a recorded part sound more "high-res".

soularflair said:
Necrophagist777 said:

It sounds like the mix is a little "distant", if that makes any sense? Perhaps it's the reverb settings you used.
EQ-wise, the snare drum in particular stands out to me as sounding quite dark, and needing more "crack" and high end snap. And overall, the whole mix could use some high end EQ...for my taste, but maybe that's just me.
As an aside (assuming you don't have it already), you might wanna check out the Steinberg Spectralizer plugin - it's awesome for adding upper harmonics to parts. When used carefully it's amazing what it can do to help a recorded part sound more "high-res".

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to check out that plugin sounds very cool. :) Never really dove much into learned a lot about mastering, will try and learn some stuff to get overall track sounding better.

EDIT: New mix and master

http://soundcloud.com/david-caplinger/t ... mix-master

Back
Top Bottom