CS / External Stand-In Switch?

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Although I've not looked too deeply under the hood, I thought to ask the forum a question regards Control Switches and Stand-In Switches. Is it possible to utilize an External Momentary Closed Stand-In Switch as a Control Switch?

The reason for my question is that I've got 2 external stand-in switches, one used solely for tuner, the 2nd somewhat in limbo until is can be determined if the 2nd stand-in switch can be a control switch.

I've RTFM somewhat but can't quite grasp the concept of creating a control switch from a stand-in switch.

While responders mull things over, I'll be researching LT's and CC's videos for control and stand-in switches...

Last edited:
A stand in can be anything because an onboard switch can be anything. The stand in does what a “real” switch can do. Just put it on a layout and switch you don’t use.

A stand in can be anything because an onboard switch can be anything. The stand in does what a “real” switch can do. Just put it on a layout and switch you don’t use.
Thx, Chris,
How does one create the CS? IIRC, one needs to use the front panel and navigate to stand-ins. Both my stand-ins are designated as switch 11 and 12, but I've not determined how to connect the CS with the stand-in. Is there a per-preset factor somewhere, or can the CS be connected directly to the stand-in?

Thx, Chris,
How does one create the CS? IIRC, one needs to use the front panel and navigate to stand-ins. Both my stand-ins are designated as switch 11 and 12, but I've not determined how to connect the CS with the stand-in. Is there a per-preset factor somewhere, or can the CS be connected directly to the stand-in?
a Control Switch is just an assignment, just like Delay Bypass is.

Stand-Ins have nothing to do with Control Switches directly.

you also need to assign some parameter to use that Control Switch as a Source.

a Control Switch is just an assignment, just like Delay Bypass is.

Stand-Ins have nothing to do with Control Switches directly.

you also need to assign some parameter to use that Control Switch as a Source.
I'd like use some parameter (input boost, fat, etc) as the modifier and CS-1 as the source. My question is that I still don't know how to connect the CS to the stand-in. That's front panel, yes? If I can find how to connect the stand-in to a per-preset, then it'll be possible to connect the per-preset to a CS, which, IIRC, is a way of doing this...

I'd like use some parameter (input boost, fat, etc) as the modifier and CS-1 as the source. My question is that I still don't know how to connect the CS to the stand-in. That's front panel, yes? If I can find how to connect the stand-in to a per-preset, then it'll be possible to connect the per-preset to a CS, which, IIRC, is a way of doing this...
to use a Stand-In, first you go to the Stand-In menu which is only on the front panel, and choose a "real" switch to mimic. you've done this - switch 11 and 12 you said. you don't need to ever do this again.

now go to Switch 11 or 12 and change it to a Control Switch.

if you want to use your Stand-In via Per-Preset assignment, go to Switch 11 or 12 and change it to a Per-Preset #.

Don't confuse an external switch with a Stand-In switch.

External switches can be used directly as modifier sources and can also be directly assigned to certain functions in the MIDI/Remote menu. They can also be set up as Stand-In switches.

Stand-In switches are are used to activate an FC switch position by proxy. They "stand in" for a chosen switch position in a specific layout, allowing you to use an external switch to perform the exact same functions as any switch position in an FC layout.

Set up an unused switch in one of your FC layouts with it's tap function set to Control Switch 1 as either momentary or latching as needed. Then in the Stand-In Switch page of the FC Controllers menu on the front panel, set your external switch to control that specific switch position in that same layout.

Stand-In switch assignment can only be done on the front panel. It hasn't yet been added to the editors.

Last edited:
Chris,

I found what I was looking for. My Layout 8 is designed for 4 Control Switches. In FM9 front panel > Stand-Ins > Layout 8 Utilities > CS (1 through 4).

Stand-In switches can be used as control switches without requiring per-preset. One just needs to program Layout 8 CS as either latching or momentary.

FWIW, it is an external stand-in switch, which I will use to control whatever parameter within a preset is required. IIRC, the same CS can be used for different presets while depending what modifier one chooses.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
glad you found what you were looking for.

though i wonder if we're using the phrase "stand-in" to mean different things.

a Layout can indeed have any number of Control Switches (up to 6). but the idea of a Stand-In switch is that you assign that to a specific switch on a specific layout, then change that "real" switch as needed, since that's much easier than changing the Stand-In menu.

for example, i've set Switch 11 and 12 of Layout 9 as my "stand in targets." i've set the Stand-In Switch menu to those switches. then i go to Layout 9, Switches 11 and 12, and assign whatever i want. if i want something else, i go back to Layout 9 and change them. i wouldn't change my Stand in assignment to a different Layout that i might use with the actual switches on the unit.

again, what works, works. but this may lead to some confusion in the future. if it does, let us know.

glad you found what you were looking for.

...again, what works, works. but this may lead to some confusion in the future. if it does, let us know.
Chris,

I just realized that in the front panel > Stand-In Switches, I've got FM9 SW 2 and FM9 SW 3 as the designated external switches, as they are supposed to be.

Here's how the Stand-In screen looks:
FM9 SW 2 > Layout 8 UTILITIES > 7 Utility, Tuner
FM9 SW 3 > Layout 8 UTILITIES > 1 Control Switch, Latching

Previously, I'd set up the tuner in the PERFORM layout. This just consolidates things and makes them look more uniform.

Both external switches are latching, which makes it easier (by default) when tuning and enabling a single (or more) parameter switch on the same CS1 switch.

Chris,

I just realized that in the front panel > Stand-In Switches, I've got FM9 SW 2 and FM9 SW 3 as the designated external switches, as they are supposed to be.

Here's how the Stand-In screen looks:
FM9 SW 2 > Layout 8 UTILITIES > 7 Utility, Tuner
FM9 SW 3 > Layout 8 UTILITIES > 1 Control Switch, Latching

Previously, I'd set up the tuner in the PERFORM layout. This just consolidates things and makes them look more uniform.

Both external switches are latching, which makes it easier (by default) when tuning and enabling a single (or more) parameter switch on the same CS1 switch.
ahh i see, this additional information clears up the questions i had. wasn't important for troubleshooting, but now i have a complete picture of what you're doing.

yeah this totally works of course. nice!

Back
Top Bottom