Crackling noises...

stephenclark1

Experienced
I use my Turbo as my interface and once in a while I'll use a plug-in like an amp from ML Sound or Amplitude but lately when I do there is this noise akin to a shorting guitar cable comes through the speakers. All my connections are good and it does go away with volume(s) turned down and ,y input/output meters are way below clipping, BUT It's like the noise is coming from somewhere other than the program...if that makes any sense. Does not make the noise when I'm just using AxeFX, and it's only started recently.
If my USB cable was going bad wouldn't it do it all the time? The thing never moves so I'm not sure it's that. For reference I'm using output 2 for output back from plugins and I always put the Axe on an empty preset.

Last edited:
This may be unrelated, but I recently changed my usb cable that I use from the fx3 to my laptop to use axeedit. The new cable is about 4x longer than my old one. I started hearing crackling and noise that I’d never heard before. So I paused communication on axeedit and the noise stopped. Moral of the story is that the problem was my cable likely due to the added length and/or cheaper construction - and btw the noise was intermittent.

Sounds like a USB ground loop.
OK. I have opened up a Standalone and got a message about audio muted to prevent ground loop. But when I unmuted, no problems. If this is the case...solution? I am going to buy a higher quality (I presume) USB cable...

This may be unrelated, but I recently changed my usb cable that I use from the fx3 to my laptop to use axeedit. The new cable is about 4x longer than my old one. I started hearing crackling and noise that I’d never heard before. So I paused communication on axeedit and the noise stopped. Moral of the story is that the problem was my cable likely due to the added length and/or cheaper construction - and btw the noise was intermittent.
How long? You should not exceed 5m as that's the max supported length for USB 2.0.

Back
Top Bottom