Convolution reverb

Agreed about the Lexicons. It works pretty well in a mix context, and the stereo image is pretty effective--especially with the way early reflections are spaced & panned, but with some sources the texture is noticeable. With my IR collection that I'm using with the Integral, I ended up just getting rid of the Lexicons, they didn't hold up well against most of the others, real or fake.

Fractal's reverb seems to me like a modern take on a lexicon. The tails can sound similar to a lexicon when Fractals diffusions are turned down. Seems like Fractal's diffusion is better at smoothing out the taps. With higher diffusion and EQ you get the texture to sound rich & nice. Fractal makes balancing the early reflections pretty easy. The springs can sound good, but there can be some odd ringing in the late tail sometimes.

The quality and diversity of sounds you can get with convolution/IR's cannot be overstated.

Where do you usually source IRs ?

Where do you usually source IRs ?

1. Some IR's come bundled inside other DAW or VI's or hosts
2. There are MANY free IR's and collections online.
3. I've captured my own impulses (using Apple's Impulse Response Utility) from
a few acoustic sources, some hardware, and a couple software reverbs
4. Paid libraries-- I've only gotten a few of these for a specific need.

Of course, when reverbs have heavy modulation, that aspect can't really be captured. It will capture and do something, but that aspect is lost in the translation. So it might be better to disable the modulation, capture it, and apply mod FX to the dry feed if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom