Control Virtual Capo with External Switch?

SJonesofva

Inspired
Hi all. My guess is, the answer to this question is "no". However, I thought I'd ask the Hive Mind if it was possible. I've read through as much documentation as I can on external switches and the pitch block, but don't see a way to do what I want.

What I'd like to do, is control the Virtual Capo with two external switches. One switch raises the pitch by one half step. One switch lowers the pitch by one half step.

So while playing, if you were in E and wanted to go to F#, you'd touch the "up" switch twice. Then after playing the song you'd hit the "down" switch twice to return to E.

Is that possible? If so, how would I do that?

Thanks,

Steve

You can set up a control switch to increment block channel and have a different tuning in each channel. There is a utility function that lets you increment amp or scene volume and save, but I don't see a similar ability for parameter.

You can set up a control switch to increment block channel and have a different tuning in each channel. There is a utility function that lets you increment amp or scene volume and save, but I don't see a similar ability for parameter.
No you can't. Control Switches don't change channels...

@SJonesofva - You can assign an external switch as a stand-in switch, which could then be used to increment/decrement channels (or any other switch function).

You won't be able to do exactly what you're asking as there is no function for that.

@SJonesofva,

Although this may not answer your question the way you'd like, why not simply create 4 separate scenes using 4 separate channels of virtual capo from the same block? You could essentially perform a detuned half-step, whole step, C and B, if needs be. Or if tuning up to F#, simply create a virtual capo scene for that.

My question might be, if you're tuning up, mebbe that's what a real capo is for...?

I understand if you're trying to do a key change mid-stream, that would pose a greater problem unless you can program the virtual capo with separate scenes.

Last edited:
Unix-guy is on it......or couldn't a stand in toggle between two presets , hold for the third.
I have 5 consecutive presets and just swap them as needed. I then have a bunch of scenes to play with in that key.
Easiest I have found. You can set up a switch to take you to a core preset and all your presets will be on your screen. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks. This gives me some ideas.
I don't like using a real capo because a) it throws off the tuning a bit, and b) with a capo the fret markers on the neck no longer apply and I rely on them. If I were a better guitarist...

I see no reason why you couldn't use two external switches to activate or bypass two virtual capo blocks.

I think the sequencer could do what you described. Sequencer assigned to VC shift amount, set as many steps as needed like 10%, 20% etc. (use smaller increments if you need more than 10 tunings) and adjust modifier min/max accordingly. You'd probably want to reserve 0 or 100% to bypass the block (use seq. as bypass source) instead of keeping it engaged with 0 shift for your real tuning.

Make a momentary control switch trigger the "step" function, which would move through the tunings in one direction. I believe the "pause" function could move in the opposite direction by having an arch/dip shaped modifier for a toggle-style CS with some damping to unpause long enough to run one step short of the full sequence.

I think the sequencer could do what you described. Sequencer assigned to VC shift amount, set as many steps as needed like 10%, 20% etc. (use smaller increments if you need more than 10 tunings) and adjust modifier min/max accordingly. You'd probably want to reserve 0 or 100% to bypass the block (use seq. as bypass source) instead of keeping it engaged with 0 shift for your real tuning.

Make a momentary control switch trigger the "step" function, which would move through the tunings in one direction. I believe the "pause" function could move in the opposite direction by having an arch/dip shaped modifier for a toggle-style CS with some damping to unpause long enough to run one step short of the full sequence.
Damn - always a clever solution up your sleeve!

I will give this a try. Still learning this beast. So many ways to do things.

So using the @Cooper Carter video above and this thread as inspiration, I was able to set up an external switch yesterday to do pretty much what I wanted. With one external switch I can switch virtual capo on and off (tap) and cycle (hold) through four channels of different virtual capo pitch changes. This will work fine, I just may need to reprogram the pitch intervals from Sunday to Sunday depending on what the key changes are. I play in church and the worship leader is a lady with a wonderful voice but she's an alto, so has to change the pitch on most songs to something in her range and it always works out to be a crummy guitar key. I've been using an EH pitchfork pedal, but hate the sound of it and would have to bend down in between songs and quickly adjust key pitch changes. The virtual capo on the FM9 sounds better and now I can do it with my feet.

Thanks all for your help!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom