Continuous controllers not working after calibrated RESOLVED

Conley Shepherd

Experienced
I have 3 continuous controllers that I am using
2 - Moog set as EXP1 & EXP2 (new pedal to setup)
1 - Mission Engineering SP25M-Pro Aero Set as EXP3 & EXP4 (New Pedal)
Each of the pedals have gone through the calibration process in the FC12 through the FC controller panels in the AF3.

I have gone through all of them and they exhibit the same behavior. The pedals do not exhibit a linear sweep, but a quick jump to about 60% and then the fade is enacted for the Volume pedal that controls a vol/pan block.

The mux1 block is set to row 2 in this picture. (same behavior for all pedals)
1572714850421.png
Need to resolve this jump in the volume control as soon as possible. Just got a pedaltrain 2 classic board and trying to setup these controllers with no success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sitting here in the house trying to debug the setup instead of riding to the Lonestar rally this weekend...

update - recalibrated the ME pedal and it is working. Need to get used to the throw now.

The Moog pedals still not working right. when all the way back, there is still a faint clean sound so does not go all the way to zero. This may be the throw of the moog pedals not working. ugh...

1. Do the Moog pedals have trim knobs on the side? If so, make sure that they are set to '0' before calibrating.
  2. Are you using TRS x TRS cables?

Try '0' and 100%, not sure exactly how they work. I had something similar on my Roland EV-5, but removed them because they would get bumped when transporting them and would mess with me at a show if I forgot to check it.

When I put to 0 - the polarity gets reversed. on 100 - get the behavior as stated above. ugh...

Isn't calibration supposed to set the throw of the values based on the bottom and top signal sent during calibration, because these are not calibrated that way.

Thank you once again for the help.

Strange? When the polarity is reversed, does it work though?

You can easily reverse the 'Start' and 'End' parameters in the 'Edit Modifier' window whenever you attach something to that pedal, but it is kind of a pain in the arse..... Probable easier the switch the wiring polarity inside the pedal, or in the cable?

Ha ha I borrowed a moog from a buddy when my Ev-2 was jacked up. Same thing calibrated at home all fine. Get to gig and it doing the jump thing, must have moved the knob in transit. Never even noticed the volume pot on the side, made for a pretty shitty night. Next day realize the volume pot is there and that's what the problem was.

Strange? When the polarity is reversed, does it work though?

You can easily reverse the 'Start' and 'End' parameters in the 'Edit Modifier' window whenever you attach something to that pedal, but it is kind of a pain in the arse..... Probable easier the switch the wiring polarity inside the pedal, or in the cable?
It works the same, just opposite of what it was.

Is the EP25k a good controller for the AF3? What would be a recommended controller I can get by Wednesday?

I purchased two Boss EV-5 pedals for use with the Axe 3 as cc pedals. They do not seem, either of them, new, to sweep all the way from 0-127, / 0-100. They stop short right at the end of the sweep. So say a volume block os mapped to be controlled, the Boss does not increase volume all the way to to 100, it stays at around 98% volume. Plugging in a Yamaha controller, it sweeps perfectly al the way to 100, as it should. On the Boss, the problem is not with the pedal attenuators in the side nor is it an issue with the Axe sweep, which is zero-d out as it is setup as a default in the volume block. The only conclusion I can come to is that the Boss EV-5 has a fault in its design and they should not be used as a cc pedal. I’m on the waiting list for two Fractal pedals which I am sure will work perfectly, although I am quite disappointed with Boss.

EV pedals have a 100K pot. For the best result (smoothest sweep) with other brands try and find one with the same 100k pot. The moog is a good budget pedal IMO. Moog website says you can set polarity maybe thats the backward issue. Switch is on the bottom plate.

thanks Tom, flipped the switch and the pedal does not work - this only works with one side of the switch for me.

Any thoughts on the EP25k?

Look at your settings. I had the same thing happen to me with a new EV2. I can’t remember what I had done, but it was something I had set wrong. Look at your output settings from the AxeIII front panel.
I know this isn’t much help but maybe you’ll stumble on it.

thanks Tom, flipped the switch and the pedal does not work - this only works with one side of the switch for me.

Any thoughts on the EP25k?
Did you try re-calibrating it after switching the polarity? Also try re-calibrating it with the trim knob both ways to make sure.

Did you try re-calibrating it after switching the polarity? Also try re-calibrating it with the trim knob both ways to make sure.
yup, when calibrating, there is a portion of the line that never gets action on. I think it is a characteristic of that pedal. Tried full trim, zero trim and half way on that knob. Same behavior. Thanks once again Moke. :)

Last edited:
I purchased two Boss EV-5 pedals for use with the Axe 3 as cc pedals. They do not seem, either of them, new, to sweep all the way from 0-127, / 0-100. They stop short right at the end of the sweep. So say a volume block os mapped to be controlled, the Boss does not increase volume all the way to to 100, it stays at around 98% volume. Plugging in a Yamaha controller, it sweeps perfectly al the way to 100, as it should. On the Boss, the problem is not with the pedal attenuators in the side nor is it an issue with the Axe sweep, which is zero-d out as it is setup as a default in the volume block. The only conclusion I can come to is that the Boss EV-5 has a fault in its design and they should not be used as a cc pedal. I’m on the waiting list for two Fractal pedals which I am sure will work perfectly, although I am quite disappointed with Boss.
Calibration is for solving this exact problem.

Most of my pedals go from 0-118 or so.

The purpose of calibration is so the Axe Fx knows the low and high values for each pedal and compensates.

Calibration is for solving this exact problem.

Most of my pedals go from 0-118 or so.

The purpose of calibration is so the Axe Fx knows the low and high values for each pedal and compensates.
Disconnected the axe edit, bounced the power on the AF3, recalibrated with the volume pot at 50% - all is good now. Don't know why, but I ain't gonna wonder any more...

Thank you everyone for viewing and offering advice!

Back
Top Bottom