Considering selling my new Slash GB LP Standard in November Burst and picking up a Eric Clapton Stratocaster.

dsouza

Experienced
Seriously, considering of doing away with the LP.

First of all I don't like the harsh hard rock sound of it to my ears. It sounds too rough. And it weights in at 10 lbs.

Since I broke my right leg 3 months ago the chance of me standing playing for hours a day with the LP are near nil in the future.

Also I was going to do a setlist of 20 U2 songs. Half using the Strat , half the LP.

I decided I'd get much better response from 10 U2 songs on the strat, in addition to some Hendrix, and some Nirvana also on the strat.

I have also decided not to let my ambient talents go to waste and produce another original ambient album this upcoming winter.

So I will then have 10 U2 strat songs, 2 Hendrix strat songs, 2 Nirvana strat songs, and 10 original ambient strat songs for my setlist.

This sounds like a better setlist with more flexibility for almost all venues and occasions than just U2 on the strat and LP.

I don't really need a Clapton Strat, I already have a nice USA strat special but I wanted one for greed and the noise-less pups. Anyone tried an Eric Clapton strat. He'a bluesy guy but how would u2, hendrix, Nirvana, and ambient work sound on a Clapton Strat? I want to make sure it's worth buying. The price is $3k so even if I sell my LP I'll be able to afford it. :)

Also the strats weight in at only 7 lbs roughly so I can still stand and play them! Also I will then have a backup guitar rig! Seems like a win-win!

Last edited:
Sorry to be mr obvious, but don't keep a guitar that's not going to work for you.

Re the Clapton strat, why not use the strat you have? If you feel an internal need for a new guitar, get something you DON'T have.
I agree with point 1. I do have a nice USA strat special. But point 2. Have you never wanted to keep a second guitar for backup in case a string breaks during a performance or you want it tuned down? Not to mention repairs. If one strats in the shop I can still practice my setlist on the other.

Even the strats hurt my back and balance standing up after I tore my right quadriceps in half and dislocated my knee.

So there is no difference to me standing up playing between a LP and strat. I need to sit down.

Which is fine by me. I have decided to keep the LP. A lot of U2 songs use it.

A strat can sound harsher than a LP actually. I depends on the song and how a preset is made.

I've heard the "Night and Day - Ambient Guitar Vol.1" material on your website. Those tones have a lot of treble and it sounds like they were done with the Strat. If you continue to use that much high end in your tones, it will not make much difference whether you play through your current Strat or an EC Strat with noiseless pickups. Before abandoning the Les Paul or adding another Strat, you might experiment with backing off on some of the treble EQ to address any harshness.

Last edited:
I've heard the "Night and Day - Ambient Guitar Vol.1" material on your website. Those tones have a lot of treble and it sounds like they were done with the Strat. If you continue to use that much high end in your tones, it will not make much difference whether you play through your current Strat or an EC Strat with noiseless pickups. Before abandoning the Les Paul or adding another Strat, you might experiment with backing off on some of the treble EQ to address any harshness.
Yes I was fairly inexperienced with recording on the AX8 and strat back then and I realized my sound was not base enough.

Keep in mind I created most of the originals on that album from playing ambient chords and notes which tend to be high pitched.

Also keep in mind I had used my own presets. Once again new to the AX8.

However, I feel I did a good job given I was so new to FAS and I never created ambient music before that time.

I currently don't have to worry about presets too much because I am going the way of a U2 tribute artist and using custom sets that sound awesome and fully base and full.

I also use an FM9 now no longer the AX8.

I've currently abandoned the idea of an EC Strat for now and even noiseless pups as I ALWAYS use position 2 and 4 on the strat tone selector switch which cancel 60 cycle hum.

I also thought listening to the GB LP would be louder and harsher. It is simply not true. I tested out my presets which I've customized now over the past year to my liking and the harshness is gone.

Gotta admit when the LP is put in the treble position it can scream compared to the rhythm position. :) It really comes down to how a preset is made and also how well a song is played. How hard you hit the strings. The touch on the guitar.

You'll find masters can make even a trebly strat sound fantastic and mystical as they seem to know how to control the tone and vol knobs throughout a performance altering them back and forth to make the sound dynamic and smooth. Hendrix had a FULL base sound on the strat. His guitar did squeal but it was intentional and he loved to make use of the tremelo bar and wah wah which was new in 1969 to the market by Vox.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom