Connecting FM3 to cheap combo amp?

khordking

Hey guys, this is my first post.

I have just ordered an FM3 and I want to connect it to my crappy Line 6 Spider amp (not for recording, just for jamming. I will be using usb for recording). I was wondering what kind of cable I would need to connect it to the amp. From what I could see there isn't 1/4 inch outputs on the back of the FM3. I was thinking about an xlr to 1/4 adapter cable but I'm not sure if it should have TRS or not.

Output2 can be used trs to mono or straight but I have found that xlr to 1/4 with ground lift on output 1 is providing me the best noise suppression with a similar setup.

Output2 can be used trs to mono or straight but I have found that xlr to 1/4 with ground lift on output 1 is providing me the best noise suppression with a similar setup.
Do you still use a trs cable on your output 1? Just wondering because I’m ordering all my cables today and I’m sure if i should order a balanced or unbalanced cable.

You can use the headphone jack as a standard 1/4" output. The output 1 volume on the FM3 manages both the headphone and XLR levels.

I played through a friends 100 dollar Kustom 1x12 powered monitor. Sounded very good for that price point imo

Hey guys, this is my first post.

I have just ordered an FM3 and I want to connect it to my crappy Line 6 Spider amp (not for recording, just for jamming. I will be using usb for recording). I was wondering what kind of cable I would need to connect it to the amp. From what I could see there isn't 1/4 inch outputs on the back of the FM3. I was thinking about an xlr to 1/4 adapter cable but I'm not sure if it should have TRS or not.
All good answers so far, but the bolded part above is incorrect. There are two 1/4" outputs as well as the headphones jack, and you can also do lke the above poster mentioned, using a TRS to 1/4" from the Output 1.

I literally have run my FM3 for years just with HOSA TS 1/4" guitar cables to the mixer, and it would work the same for the Spider. You don't need anything fancy or expensive or proprietary.

If you do use the Output 2 1/4" jack(s), then be sure you go into global I/O settings and make sure Output 2 is cloning Output 1, otherwise you'll go through all the presets and not hear anything.

But just so you know, going into a mono source, particularly the front end of a terrible amp, is literally the worst way you can possibly experience the FM3. I'd actually suggest not even using the FM3 and just using the built-in Spider models. Wait to use the FM3 until you can hear it in stereo or through a quality power amp & cab or FRFR.

You've bought a Lamborghini and are trying to drive it through a New York City alleyway.

All that said, I'm interested to know your experience after it's been done. You might have discovered a great new method or something. Report back :)

Back
Top Bottom