connecting axe fx, mac, lexicon omega, and krk rokit 8's

charndt

Here is my planned signal route (the *'s are where I have questions):

Guitar>>TRS cable to splitter box>>Magnetic pups to axe instrument input >>Piezo pups to axe line 2 input >>axe output (*)>>lexicon omega(*)>>macbook pro usb >>(*)krk rokit 8's

Hope that makes sense. The axe goes into the omega, the omega outputs to the monitors and is connected via USB to my macbook pro.

Basically, I have questions regarding XLR/balanced cables/inputs.

Currently, I have 2 XLR-XLR cables. The omega has 2 mic XLR and 4 balanced 1/4" TRS inputs, but only 2 balanced 1/4" TRS outputs. The monitors have XLR and 1/4" TRS inputs.

1st question: Will my tone be affected by the mic preamps on the omega if I connect the axe to it via my XLR cables? Quoted from the Omega's manual: "These balanced XLR inputs feature high quality dbx® Silver Series™ mic preamps designed specifically for low-impedance professional microphones. The input gain is adjusted using the Mic 1-2 knobs on the front panel respectively, with 50 dB of gain at the maximum setting."

The mic input's also have a -20dB button: "The -20dB pad is a resistive attenuator that drops the level coming from the mic input jacks. Press this switch in to prevent overload of the preamp when incoming signals are too hot to avoid clipping, even when the front panel control is set to minimum. Normally, this will only happen if you have plugged a line-level input into the Mic In jack. When the -20dB switch is in, the XLR input can handle a maximum input of +18 dBu, compared to a maximum +22 dBu at any Line In jack."

The Omega's manual says that you can use the mic jacks for line level sources, but I don't want the mic preamps to color my signal.

I really don't want to buy more cables, but will if necessary/ideal. Would a decent female XLR to male TRS 1/4" cause any loss of signal/sound quality?
Or should I just not deal with the mic inputs, bite the bullet, and get more cables?

2nd question: For outputting from the omega to the monitors, should I get a balanced 1/4" TRS cable, or a cable that has that on one end and an XLR on the other? Or does it matter?

3rd question: Just wanted confirmation that this routing will work :D

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom