Confusing distortion tone, can you decipher this distortion?

beto_v

Hey guys, been trying to recreate the tone o the guitar on this track, the guitar stars around 1:06, I hear the attack of the guitar but I also hear the distortion high gain but yet on the point of breaking and some flanger or filter maybe with an LFO around the track, I'd love to hear your thoughts since there is so much experience here in recreating tone, any pointers , thoughts?

Cheers!

Hey guys, been trying to recreate the tone o the guitar on this track, the guitar stars around 1:06, I hear the attack of the guitar but I also hear the distortion high gain but yet on the point of breaking and some flanger or filter maybe with an LFO around the track, I'd love to hear your thoughts since there is so much experience here in recreating tone, any pointers , thoughts?

Cheers!

my guess is a ton of reverb and a lo fi
effect like a ring mod or bit crusher

my guess is a ton of reverb and a lo fi
effect like a ring mod or bit crusher
I think you are right about the Bitcrusher, I tried with the OTO Buscuit but it gets too distorted, it sounds like it is on the edge of breaking but it also sounds natural, its weird, I think it is running in parallel, it sounds on another layer to me.

Definitely a slow phaser on there. Also some fast modulation, could be a chorus, along with maybe tremolo.
I totally hear the slow phaser, maybe controlled by an LFO, but it might also be a flanger? not sure

I think you are right about the Bitcrusher, I tried with the OTO Buscuit but it gets too distorted, it sounds like it is on the edge of breaking but it also sounds natural, its weird, I think it is running in parallel, it sounds on another layer to me.

I totally hear the slow phaser, maybe controlled by an LFO, but it might also be a flanger? not sure
I can't hear the characteristic "ball rolling through a metal tube" sound that a flanger makes. I've listened to it again but on my studio monitors, instead of on my phone. The fast modulation really sounds like a fast chorus, pre gain. So slow phaser + fast chorus, both before the dirt.

I can't hear the characteristic "ball rolling through a metal tube" sound that a flanger makes. I've listened to it again but on my studio monitors, instead of on my phone. The fast modulation really sounds like a fast chorus, pre gain. So slow phaser + fast chorus, both before the dirt.

Great advice on the PHSR + CHRUS, here's how that sounds so far:
Now with the OTO on the distortion on parallel (where I can't seem to find a break to make it sound close to the edge but still as full as the original):

I have replaced the OT for a simple Ableton Live's Distortion, I think it is closer than the Bitcrusher, it might be that there's some filter or mix between the chorus and phaser that make it sound like a ring modulator or Bitcrusher, I think the overdrive in parallel is the right direction:

I would make the chorus much more dramatic, like a faux leslie. Rate 5-7k, turn the depth up. The original track has that vibe that Landau has used quite a lot with the old Arion chorus.

Message the artist and ask what they used?
That's a good idea, I would still like to learn how to direct and create the tone myself, I learned how to use the OTO biscuit out of this experiment and I would still like to learn to get close to the tone and then get it somewhere else it would teach me something about distortion in parallel.

I would make the chorus much more dramatic, like a faux leslie. Rate 5-7k, turn the depth up. The original track has that vibe that Landau has used quite a lot with the old Arion chorus.
Deeper chorus & Phaser:

I'm sure we can get the chorus and phaser right, but I'm still unable to replicate the distortion, it is on the edge of breaking and very dynamic, any ideas off what pedals / amps might get close to the sound on the AXE FX 3?

thanks!

I think I got to the point where I wanted, I figured out a trick to get the distortion; I used a Tweed head (no cab) in parallel and mixed it with the original, here's the final bounce without PHSR & CHRUS & with it, thank you @guitarnerdswe @Randalljax @Gilesy for your help mates, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom