Combo amp into FM3

gd4379

Hi everyone!

Been using FM3 with headphones to play/study bass at home for quite a while, using a usb out to my laptop for backing tracks, etc. I would like to buy a bass combo amp: before doing that and in order to pick the right one, I'd like to understand if I could still line out the combo into the FM3 and continue play with headhpones and laptop out. Basically I would be using a Mark Bass Combo as a preamp into the FM3.

Not much into technical stuff so apologies if this sounds weird or makes no sense, quite the opposite of what almost everyone does!

Thank you

Hi everyone!

Been using FM3 with headphones to play/study bass at home for quite a while, using a usb out to my laptop for backing tracks, etc. I would like to buy a bass combo amp: before doing that and in order to pick the right one, I'd like to understand if I could still line out the combo into the FM3 and continue play with headhpones and laptop out. Basically I would be using a Mark Bass Combo as a preamp into the FM3.

Not much into technical stuff so apologies if this sounds weird or makes no sense, quite the opposite of what almost everyone does!

Thank you
Yes you can!
the input 1&2 of the FM3 can be used to input whatever you want... just take a look at the owner manual for specifications

From the manual:
Input 1 [Instrument] (mono) — (1) 1/4" Jack (unbalanced) — Connect your instrument to this jack, intended specifically for use with electric/acoustic/bass guitars, and other similar instruments. The FM3 uses our proprietary “Secret Sauce IV” circuitry from our Axe-Fx products.

Input 2/FX Return L+R — (2) 1/4" Jacks (balanced) — Connect balanced or unbalanced line level signals here. Input 2 can be used as an FX Return when inserting outboard gear, or as an auxiliary input for use with stereo line level sources such as mixers, synthesizers, backing track players, and more.TIP: Balanced audio connections are resistant to noise and interference. Use cables balanced at both ends when connecting to the balanced outputs of other devices (whether XLR or TRS). When connecting to unbalanced 1/4” outputs, use regular patch cables.

As long as the bass amp you choose has a line-level output and a way to turn off/silence the speaker output independently it will work.

Yes you can!
the input 1&2 of the FM3 can be used to input whatever you want... just take a look at the owner manual for specifications

From the manual:
Input 1 [Instrument] (mono) — (1) 1/4" Jack (unbalanced) — Connect your instrument to this jack, intended specifically for use with electric/acoustic/bass guitars, and other similar instruments. The FM3 uses our proprietary “Secret Sauce IV” circuitry from our Axe-Fx products.

Input 2/FX Return L+R — (2) 1/4" Jacks (balanced) — Connect balanced or unbalanced line level signals here. Input 2 can be used as an FX Return when inserting outboard gear, or as an auxiliary input for use with stereo line level sources such as mixers, synthesizers, backing track players, and more.TIP: Balanced audio connections are resistant to noise and interference. Use cables balanced at both ends when connecting to the balanced outputs of other devices (whether XLR or TRS). When connecting to unbalanced 1/4” outputs, use regular patch cables.
Thank you! So basically I plug the bass into the Mark Bass or whatever, feed the line out into the Input 2 and that's it. Only thing I should check is for an amp with cab switching off automatically when the amp is lined out (I play mostly late at night using headphones and don't want to fight any neighbours).

Thank you! So basically I plug the bass into the Mark Bass or whatever, feed the line out into the Input 2 and that's it. Only thing I should check is for an amp with cab switching off automatically when the amp is lined out (I play mostly late at night using headphones and don't want to fight any neighbours).
exactly.
If you don't find a way to use the FM3 directly with the bass that's your option.

Something like that
Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 15.45.27.png

Let me share also this preset by mighty @Marco Fanton (old but gold)
https://www.g66.eu/images/presets/mf-presets/wk47_MF_Bassone.zip

Back
Top Bottom