Chuck Berry sound

335-style guitar, clean amp on verge of breakup. A Double Verb with just a hair of overdrive will put you in the ballpark. Increase treble to taste.

Last edited:
What have you tried? To emulate his rig, use a Double Verb model paired with the 2X15 Doubleshow (RW) IR. No overdrive or distortion, the hollow body guitar has a lot to do with the tone.

From what I read, he used a Fender Showman on Johnny B. Goode. But as stated before he used the Gibson ES 355 guitar which contributed to getting that amp to have a little hair on it.
For me, I just take whatever amp model is my favorite at the moment and drop the drive of the amp down to almost nothing.
For instance, I'm using the Soldano lead amp model for my crunch and lead sounds.
But I have it set up for what I call "Classic" sound as well with the drive set at 0.5
It's a little more distorted than Chuck's original sound was (which if you listen to the old records was kind of harsh and thin by today's standards). But just sounds perfect for live performance for Stones songs and all the other bands that had that kind of sound.

Back
Top Bottom