Charvel Henrik Dhanage evolution...

schemers

Thought I'd post the evolution of my Charvel Henrik Dhanages.

First one is tuned to standard and followed this path (corresponding to charvel1-charvel4 images):
  1. original layout, original volume knob (push/push for pickup selection)
  2. new HS pickguard, moved volume knob (same push/push)
  3. new HSS pickguard, added middle pickup (DiMarzio Area 67, same as neck, 5-way switch, tone wired only to neck/middle pickups)
  4. new HH pickguard, Seymour Duncan 59 in neck, 3-way switch
(4) is the layout I just switched to today, after I got bored with (3). Kinda liked the look of (3) but never used middle pickup (or 2/4 on the switch), and the tone wasn't really used either (other than down a little to tame the treble).

The second one (charvel5) is tuned down half a step with the same layout as (2) but with a black pickguard, and I recently added a 470K resistor to the neck pickup which helped with taming the treble on it. I still might dump the push/push on it, maybe by adding a toggle where the tone knob would be.

I'm toying with adding a treble bleed circuit on them, since they get a little muddy with the volume rolled down, but not sure. Any suggestions on what might work best are definitely welcome!

Also tempted to just sand the paint off the black one so it is just natural...

Attachments

• charvel1.jpeg
    charvel1.jpeg
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 19
  • charvel2.jpeg
    charvel2.jpeg
    925.7 KB · Views: 19
  • charvel3.jpeg
    charvel3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • charvel4.jpeg
    charvel4.jpeg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 20
  • charvel5.jpeg
    charvel5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
I usea parallel 82nF 150k bleed, and it's so natural sounding. It came from the insane research of this madman:

https://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/5317
I think I might have stumbled across that post when googling.

So that is option (c) wiring with your specified values for the cap and resistor?

I’ll give it a try, might try and hook it up with a temporary toggle switch to toggle on/off to compare the difference.

Thanks!

I think I might have stumbled across that post when googling.

So that is option (c) wiring with your specified values for the cap and resistor?

I’ll give it a try, might try and hook it up with a temporary toggle switch to toggle on/off to compare the difference.

Thanks!

Yeah, option C! I actually spent so long testing before I settled on that. I wired in two breadboard / DuPont wires, with the female ends sticking out, so I could just shove in various caps and resistors to see what I liked best. I found that with my humbuckers, that combo just sounded so uniform as I rolled back the volume. What I generally do when I set a tone these days is to test the tone with my volume knob at 10, then again at 3, and I'll adjust settings on the amp and mic placement until the tone sounds good at both of those levels. With this bleed and my style, that bleed makes it pretty easy. But I highly recommend just dangling two wires for experimentation of you can.

By the way, I didn't have a 150k resistor, so I ended up using two different values in parallel with what I had on hand to equal roughly 150k.

If I remember, my second choice was to usea 220nF cap with no resistor. But it's so dependent on your tone and playing style, I think experimentation will yield the best result.

Best of luck, and I'm interested to know what ends up working for you!

Back
Top Bottom