Change for a quieter fan??

Spawn-X

Experienced
P'tit lu all...

I'm looking for a new fan for my Ultra because on stage, it's ok, but on home-studio, it's like a older P4 computer ;)...

I was looking for the wiki that tells it:
Fan Upgrades

* The ultimate in airflow to noise ratio, iXtrema Pro Quiet Fans are the only fans in the industry to be designed with silence and optimal airflow in mind.

* SilenX IXP-34-16 60mm Case Fan

* The IXP-34-16 is rated at 16dB with 18CFM airflow while the stock fan is rated at 15.54 CFM

* There are 12 and 8 dB models available, but they have lower airflow ratings.

* SilenX IXP-34-16 60mm Case Fan at newegg.com

So, what about? Somebody has an experience on it? Is there any problem to looking carefully ?

Thanks for answers.

FWIW, I'm still inclined to get the -12 or -8 versions of the SilenX over the -16 that I used.

Haven't gotten around to purchasing any more fans than my last update on that thread though. A bit busy with some other things right now.

I swapped mine out, and it made a HUGE difference - the original fan annoyed the dickens out of me, but I don't even hear the new one. It was a cheap "repair" - less than $20 total for rubber o-rings, new screws, and fan, and only took about 5-minutes. The hardest part was unscrewing some of the AFX case screws, which are tiny, and strip out very easily - be careful with these. I recommend swapping out the fan, as long as you're careful, and somewhat mechanical; don't risk screwing up your AFX if you're not handy - not worth it.

Ok, thanks for the links. I was searching, but not with the good keywords :(...

No problemo for handy ;)..

I am confused why Fractal doesn't use quieter fans. I'm sure any one of us would pay 10 dollars more if we had to, to get the silent one installed.

I bought my Ultra from G66, and they change the fan on all items they ship. I have no idea which fan they put in, but it is completely noiseless. Kudos to G66 for this fantastic user service!

Jenssen said:
I bought my Ultra from G66, and they change the fan on all items they ship. I have no idea which fan they put in, but it is completely noiseless. Kudos to G66 for this fantastic user service!
Can you, please, check it?
May be there's a model inscription on it.?.?

Email Fractal customer support.
They'll make some suggestions to you and if you do what they say it won't void your warranty if you've still got one.

I mailed them last week. Always no answer. :(...

I think to buy one of some models told in the Wiki.

Is anybody use one of it?

I've been running the SiLenx IXP-34-12 in my Standard and that's what I will be putting in my Ultra once I get it.

I use the stock fan screws and the rubber washers you can get from FrozenCPU (I got both my fans and the washers from there); works for me. Perfectly quiet and never a heat issue once even in direct sunlight for hours at outdoor gigs.

Scott Peterson said:
I've been running the SiLenx IXP-34-12 in my Standard and that's what I will be putting in my Ultra once I get it.

I use the stock fan screws and the rubber washers you can get from FrozenCPU (I got both my fans and the washers from there); works for me. Perfectly quiet and never a heat issue once even in direct sunlight for hours at outdoor gigs.

Scott, does changing the fan void the warranty? I just got my Ultra and noticed the fan noise ...

Thnx ...

BMH said:
Scott Peterson said:

Scott, does changing the fan void the warranty? I just got my Ultra and noticed the fan noise ...

Thnx ...

I contacted Cliff early on and told him the model of fan I planned on using and asked if my warranty would be in force. He replied to me that I was fine.

Hi Fractal - Friends!
I´m new to this forum but read a lot in it befor... :D

I got my Ultra from G66, too! And they also changed the fan befor they shipped it.
Absolutely noiseless, even my iMac is louder when they are standing side by side. :lol:

Maybe you should ask them which fan they are using? www.g66.eu

From what I gathered from various fan swap threads, this is what I went with:

1) SilenX IXP-34-12 60mm (purchased online)
2) 6/32 - 1.25" screws (purchased from hardware store - Home Depot)
3) #60 "O" rings (box of 10, purchased from hardware store - Home Depot)

Use two "O" rings per screw to cushion where:
A) the fan meets the case
B) the screw head meets the fan.

Wow, things are very quiet now. I didn't realize how loud the previous fan was - I can't go back now.

frankybaby said:
From what I gathered from various fan swap threads, this is what I went with:

1) SilenX IXP-34-12 60mm (purchased online)
2) 6/32 - 1.25" screws (purchased from hardware store - Home Depot)
3) #60 "O" rings (box of 10, purchased from hardware store - Home Depot)

Use two "O" rings per screw to cushion where:
A) the fan meets the case
B) the screw head meets the fan.

Wow, things are very quiet now. I didn't realize how loud the previous fan was - I can't go back now.

Exactly what I use. Not one issue and I have had it this way since AUG 2008 on both my Ultras. ;)

Back
Top Bottom