Challenge: Alice in Chains

The real AiC tone challenge for the Axe would be the Dirt tones... So great. I read that Jerry used a number of amps separately for the highs, mids, and lows for the layered Dirt tones :eek: .. I suppose the final result would be near impossible even with the Axe (at least in 1 patch; in a recording I imagine you could get close), but at least the Ultra can get 2 amps/cabs at once.

Btw there's a "man in the box" preset in the Ultra.. try tweaking that?

Yeah indeed, they are always layered. But I made the XTC clip with just one guitar, still to me at least it sounds like AIC. But I can't get it done with the Axe, I tried all kinds of amps, cabs, etc.

The patch in the presets is more for that voice box sound but doesn't really help with the rhythm tone.

Did you manage to tweak a patch to get close to your Bogner yet Hunter?

I`ll have a go myself next week through my FRFR setup, i`m plugged into my SLA-1 and guitar cab ATM but can get pretty close using the Brown amp model. Will report back if i can nail those tones from Dirt going FRFR.

Here's my take at it.

Recorded with my Melancon Custom Artist (WCR Goodwood Bridge Pickup) tuned down 1/2 step and my own Bogner preset (I didn't touch it from how I usually run it).

I did this as two takes, panned hard left and hard right. You can use your balance to hear one take or the other.

I'll be sharing this preset once the Axe-Exchange is up. I am using two of Clawfingers most excellent speaker IR's (though I need to find my 'cheat sheet' to remember which two they actually are).

Recorded Axe-FX analog outs to Lynx Audio L-22 A/D ins, no post whatsoever outside of UAD's Precision Limiter to get it up to level. Totally direct in.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yzmjyqzek3z

Sounds very good!

But it's hard to compare as it's layered guitars and my recording was just one guitar, one take. Maybe I can isolate single ones by just playing one side of the stereo file?

Is there no way you could share the patch now as a .zip attachment?

hunter said:
Sounds very good!

But it's hard to compare as it's layered guitars and my recording was just one guitar, one take. Maybe I can isolate single ones by just playing one side of the stereo file?

I'm not at home, I'm in Florida at Disney World. Can't get into my Axe-FX in Michigan right now. :D

Scott Peterson said:
hunter said:
Sounds very good!

I'm not at home, I'm in Florida at Disney World. Can't get into my Axe-FX in Michigan right now. :D

Guess with the PC version and remote access, even that will be possible soon :cool:

Back
Top Bottom