Celestion XiTone vs. Eminence XiTone

Knobs McGee

Inspired
I'm the proud owner of a first series XiTone Openback cab (pre-M. Britt) which I love. This is a fantastic sounding cab which gives me much more of an "amp in the room" experience than anything else I've tried. This one is built using the Eminence 12" and HF drivers.

I'm looking at buying a XiTone powered wedge which I believe is now built using a Celestion driver. I'd like to have both cabs for optional rigs as well as using together in stereo.

Has anyone had the opportunity to hear Xitone cabs with Eminence drivers and the Celestion version, side by side? I'm wondering if they're voiced similarly enough (disregarding openback vs. closed) to use in stereo.

I suppose Mick could build another wedge using the Eminence, if I asked nicely. Any experience with both or general thoughts on this?

The standard wedges are still Eminence. The cast Celestion adds too much weight... if someone wants it I'd do one but it'll add 3 more pounds to the wedge so no plans to switch from Eminence for the wedge.

I do have a lighter weight wedge that uses a Celestion but it's not listed on the website yet and would be considered GRFR rather than FRFR as there is no tweeter but rather a whizzer cone for high end extension to 12k or so.

The standard wedges are still Eminence. The cast Celestion adds too much weight... if someone wants it I'd do one but it'll add 3 more pounds to the wedge so no plans to switch from Eminence for the wedge.

I do have a lighter weight wedge that uses a Celestion but it's not listed on the website yet and would be considered GRFR rather than FRFR as there is no tweeter but rather a whizzer cone for high end extension to 12k or so.
The latter... I think he was preferring to the K12H-200TC from that other thread, which would be lighter than the Eminence BETA 12CX+HF+XOver.

What is the "cast Celestion"?

Any cabs that utilize the K12H will be models on their own and will not replace any of the standard Eminence driver models.

Yes, the K12H is lighter than the Beta... by a couple of pounds at least.

The cast Celestion is the FTX1225.. a common motor coaxial design. Very nice driver and the only cab it is standard in is the oversized open back models.

I see. I was only aware of XiTone using the K12H and the BETAs.

But dang, that FTX1225 really is heavy... not 12L heavy, but still.

Thanks for the splanin', Mick. As I've said before, I think that what you've done with the Eminence is fantastic. Glad to hear that you're still offering it. Thanks to you other fellas for chiming in.

Yea guys so I'm going to get a Xitone really soon, I will be using my modelling unit and guitar only, but im not sure which is better, should i get the

https://xitonecabs.com/product/12-active-wedge/ which has the Eminence
or the
https://xitonecabs.com/product/12-open-closed/ which cost a little more and has the Celestion driver...

what is the difference? which is better? and what is the benefit of being able to remove the back of the open/closed one?

At the moment I want a wedge with the best driver and I couldn't care less about the weight!

Thanks

Last edited:
I have the wedge and it sounds great!
Be aware you're probably going to be in for a long wait when you order.

I have the wedge and it sounds great!
Be aware you're probably going to be in for a long wait when you order.
wow really, theres nothing on the website about delays! its all good tho! I can wait

but yeah anyone who's tried out the different Xitones I mentioned above pleaese give me your advice, opinion etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom