Carvin FRFR speakers

Anyone use any of these?

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/ ... oduct=LM15

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/ ... duct=LM153

I'm looking at possibly going the FRFR route, and already have the Carvin DCM1540L power amp, so I'm looking at passive speakers so my investment in that doesn't go to waste. I know absolutely nothing about PA speakers, but I'm assuming I want 3 way? And just looking at the specs it looks like the 2 way ones have more usable low end? 44 hz as opposed to 50 Hz. Will this be a big deal? Or should I stay away from Carvin altogether? Someone told me their speakers suck, but they're low cost and light, both of which I like. Are there any other good options for low cost, light, and decent low end? I'll be mostly using it for guitar, and maybe occasionally play some bass or my electronic drums through it/them (if I get a pair).

Most of the threads I see around here are for powered speakers, which are a bit more pricey.

If it's possable I would look into demoing what you are looking at. With Carvin it's been my experience that the low end of things arn't very good and for what you want it for personally I would look at somthing else. To my knowledge I don't believe anyone is using 3 way systems with 15" drivers with the Axe unless it for FOH. Most seam to be all over QSC and FBT for monitoring but as you have pointed out they are powered.

FBT has a passive version of the 12ma the 12m which I think a few on the board are using with success. I have been wanting to demo the TRx12n that Carvin makes which looks promising and the TRx series is Carvins top of the line speaker and looks to be a bit cheaper then the FBT. Both are of a Coaxial design and I can say I have played through that type of configuration and it is much more musical than a traditional monitor cab where the driver and horn are separate. Their are a lot of passive FRFR speakers out their and I'm sure others would agree, I would look really hard at all of them befor I pulled the trigger on the ones you have posted.

Mostly for guitar, occasionally bass and my electronic drums. Demoing is out of the question, music stores suck around here and don't carry anything decent. I might get to demo some PA stuff, but it won't be Carvin, and probably not anything I'd be looking at online.

If that's your budget per speaker most everything in that price range is going to be along the lines of what you have already found. Yorkville, Samson, BR series Yamaha They will all be pretty much the same quality. I would hold out a little longer and get somthing that your not going to be disappointed in. If you already havent you want to consider selling the power amp you have use the money that you have for the speakers your looking for and get a nice powered speaker, that might be the better way to go. just a thought...

JJ Rodriguez said:
Well, that thread seems to say that if you're not used to higher end PA stuff you'd probably be happy with the Carvins. I can get the Carvins for $220 a pop (blem) and get them shipped to a friend in the US. Also, there's these: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/JBL-JRX115-15-2Way-Speaker-Cabinet-Pair?sku=600347.

Can anyone recommend anything else decent for passive? QSC seem to have a lot in the active, but not really much for passive offerings.

The FBT 12m is supposed to be every bit as good as the powered ma model. Perhaps check those out.

Sixstring said:
If that's your budget per speaker most everything in that price range is going to be along the lines of what you have already found. Yorkville, Samson, BR series Yamaha They will all be pretty much the same quality. I would hold out a little longer and get somthing that your not going to be disappointed in. If you already havent you want to consider selling the power amp you have use the money that you have for the speakers your looking for and get a nice powered speaker, that might be the better way to go. just a thought...

It's not really a budget really, but I would strongly prefer not to blow a bunch of cash :lol: Is there not really a huge selection of passive FRFR speakers?

JJ Rodriguez said:
Sixstring said:

It's not really a budget really, but I would strongly prefer not to blow a bunch of cash :lol: Is there not really a huge selection of passive FRFR speakers?

Not at all there are plenty of Passive FRFR speakers. It's just finding a pair that you won't be disappointed in for the money your looking to spend that's all.

Why would you spend 2K on a processer that is arguably the best digital amp sim in the world and couple it with speakers that will compromise the tone you spent all that money trying to get? It's like saying you bought a Ferrari and want to give it a Krylon paint job, makes no sence. Money wise the Carvins I have suggested should be prety good but if you want to be sure I would think the FBT's would be the ticket.

Carvin Specs:
$349.00 on sale

Specifications TRx12N
System Type: 12-inch 2-Way
Frequency Response: 65 Hz – 20 kHz (-10DB)
70 Hz – 18 kHz (-3 dB)
Coverage Pattern: 80 round
Crossover: 2-Way with Speaker Guard™ HF
protection
Crossover Frequency: 2.5 k Hz
Power: Continuous / Program / Peak
Full Range 300w /600w /1200w
Recommended Amplifier Power: 450 – 900w
Sensitivity (1w @ 1m): 96dB
Maximum SPL: 121dB
LF Driver: 12-inch woofer
HF Driver: 1-inch Neodymium 1.5-inch VC
Nominal Impedance full range: 8 ohms
Bi-amp LF: 8 ohms 300w /600w /1200w
Bi-amp HF: 8 ohms 60w /120w /240w
Enclosure: 18mm Multi-Ply Hardwood
Suspension/Mounting: 1-3/8-inch pole mount cup
4 captive 3/8in –16 nut fly points
Finish: Black DuraTex™
Transport: 1 Recessed Handle
Grill: Black powder coated 16-Ga steel
Acoustically Transparent Foam
Backing
Connectors: Two NL-4 Neutrik Speakon’s
Dimensions (H x W x D): 17 in x 15.5 in x 15.25 in
430 mm x 395 mm x 390 mm
Net Wt: 33 lb (15 kg)
Rigging Accessories: TCSHK10 3/8-16 Eyebolt
TCSHK15 3/8-16 Quicklink
1 year parts and labor Warranty

FBT Verve Specs:
$615.00 List with lower price with an email quote.
System Type: 2 way
Dispersion: 90° H x 90° V
Components: Coaxial B&C® 12” LF woofer, 1.4”HF driver
Protection: FBT's S.T.E.P. circuitry
Frequency Response: 60Hz - 18kHz
Input/Output: 2 x Neutrik® NL- 4 Speakon jacks
Power Handling: 300w RMS@ 8 ohms
Enclosure Material: 11 ply Baltic Birch plywood
Sensitivity: 98 dB @ 1 watt, 1 meter
Dimensions: 15”w x 20.87”h x 12.28”d
Maximum SPL: 123dB
Net Weight: 33 lbs.