Carvin Fat Boy and HH2

Own several Carvins, great guitars all, but don't have experience with this model. If you get your hands on one, let us know what you think of it.

Own several Carvins, great guitars all, but don't have experience with this model. If you get your hands on one, let us know what you think of it.

Same here. I've NEVER yet played a carvin guitar or bass I didn't like tho, they are all very well made.
This particular guitar was one I've been wanting to try out for quite some time but never had the opportunity. I own and have played quite a few of their semi-hollowbodies, and they're the best in that class I've played.

I'd buy one if they didn't ruin it with that gaudy logo on the body. I know there's no headstock, but honestly, I'd be just fine with no logo at all.

I'd buy one if they didn't ruin it with that gaudy logo on the body. I know there's no headstock, but honestly, I'd be just fine with no logo at all.

Hmmm, you can't do it in the custom shop, but I bet you can if you order through a rep. I emailed asking whether I could do all alder, and the response was 'yes, for $100 more and, while warranteed, no return if you don't like it'. I can't imagine not liking it.

My 5th Carvin is on order now. DC-400. Carvin makes great guitars. Carvin folks have always been great to work with. I am greatly looking forward to my new toy. I've tried a Fatboy, but not the headless one. Sounded very full and musical. I don't get out to CA all that often so not much opportunity to try their stuff.

I think I need this Carvin headless gtr, I had the Holdsworth H-2, and it was a pretty decent guitar, I need a traveling headless..

@Geezerjohn and DigitalTube: can you describe/explain the tone of the H2?

It's a bit hard to explain, it has a very clear sound, it doesn't sound like any other guitar, mine had the pickup coil splits, so i could get more of that sound too for cleaner settings, but it didn't sound like a Fender it still had it's unique sound, it worked well with distortion and you could get a nice fat sound, but you had to be careful if you use a lot of gain as it would feedback much more then your standard humbucker guitar, but only with more then average gain settings, the Holdsworth pickups are very clear sounding and not very hot pickups, you can get nice clean sounds of the humbuckers with just a slight turn of the volume knob, it's very light and comfortable to play if you don't mind the strap holder being behind the neck, i had to struggle bit with that as it moves the guitar position a bit to the side.. nice guitar overall and worth every penny, a very good friend of mine still has his H2 and picks it up many times over the many Suhr guitars he owns.. :) I sold mine, but think I will pick up the headless one.

Cool, thanks, DigitalTube. As I play mostly high gain, I'd wondered about feedback. I may have to steer clear of this. Damn. The cheapest, un-cheap headless I know of.

Or maybe I'll try a stock model and see.....

Cool, thanks, DigitalTube. As I play mostly high gain, I'd wondered about feedback. I may have to steer clear of this. Damn. The cheapest, un-cheap headless I know of.

Or maybe I'll try a stock model and see.....
I'd try it first if I were you, if you're in the USA there is the usual 10 day trial period, so it might work for you, it's priced right too, the feedback problem was only with very high gain, I'm not sure if the headless model will be the same but I assume it will, as far as i know they're not in stock yet, but if i end up with one I'll report back.

Yeah, I should clarify: I play either Mark Day main patch gain (at least), or clean (occasionally). Carvin's trial period used to be 30 days....but yeah, either way, it's worth checking out. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom