Can't get a good sounding delay:(

Billbill

Power User
In process of remaking all my patches starting with my ol' EJ preset.
Why does every delay in the box smack me in the face? I've tried parallel and regular routing with the mic knob and it seems everything I try just gives me the very first repeat that's way too loud. I just want a smooth echo effect that's not as loud as whatever note I'm playing. It's like what I'm playing is "note note note then delay>NOTE note note. I want it to jut taper off note smack me in the face right away. Please advise. Thx xmillion

Turn down the mix. You can also adjust the EQ to make the repeats less present sounding. Is your delay before or after the amp?
Delay is before amp. Didn't think it mattered because I thought I read something about the AxeFx and it's time based effects being linear or something like that? It's always that first initial repeat that's throwing everything off because the first repeat is just like BAM, right in the face. Not smooth at all. :/

It's the compression of the amp block that is causing it. The delay itself is linear (except the drive parameter), but the amp block is very much non-linear. You'd have much better luck balancing the levels with the delay after the amp, especially with overdriven amp sounds.
Wow that's way over my head haha but I'll try moving it Post amp block and see how that works out. Thanks @mr_fender

Turn the attenuation up to 1 or 2 on the ducker
Yeah I saw that control what do the other 2 do? I think it's att threshold and time? Not too sure how they're designed to work exactly. However, when I played w them I did notice a tiny difference

Turn the attenuation up to 1 or 2 on the ducker

It puts your guitar more out front and ducks the delay in the beginning ,I use it alot
Not really the same thing. Lowering the Mix will bring down the repeat volume (always). Mine is somewhere around 10-15% most of the time.

The ducker will reduce the level of the repeats while the input signal is above a certain threshold.

Since Bill mentioned EJ, I don't think the ducker is going to be the way to get that sound.

I used to use a DD3 with about 300-400ms delay and it was nice and smooth, perfect for songs like Cliffs of Dover.
From what I know, EJ used an Echoplex in front of the amp... And that would have been dialed in with the gain already there.

I personally prefer to always put delay after the Preamp in the FX loop of a real amp, or after amp and cab blocks in the Axe Fx.

Dial in your Mix control to get the repeat level where you want. You may want 20%-ish for that type of sound.

It's the compression of the amp block that is causing it. The delay itself is linear (except the drive parameter), but the amp block is very much non-linear. You'd have much better luck balancing the levels with the delay after the amp, especially with overdriven amp sounds.
This was it! Putting delay in front of amp in the AxeFx was a new nightmare, I moved it post and wahla smooth and now I can tame it. Thank you @mr_fender

Back
Top Bottom