cant get a 12ma - 15ma better anyway?

bluffalo

I can't get a hold of a FBT verve 12ma. the closest distributor to me says DECEMEBER.

but, I can get a 15ma. Has anyone tried both? is it just going to be bigger and louder and more expensive?

any reason not to get it?

I haven't tried both but bigger and heavier would be problems for me. The 12ma already weighs like 40lbs. I wouldn't want to go bigger or heavier.

Another thing to consider: some deep experts will say that a 12" driver is much more suitable for guitar tones than a 15" driver (search the forum, look for posts from Jay). I'm no such expert and therefore can't comment on that, but I remember clearly ruling out 15" drivers because of the very strong opinions stated about that.

Having said that, at least one user on the forum recently acquired a 15mA and reported good things about it. Can't remember who it was, nor do I know if that user got a chance to hear a 12mA to balance his view.

Daniel

Anecdotally, I used to run a pair of JBL 10" Eon speakers as a keyboard rig onstage. They were loud, punchy, and had a nice low end to them. I figured 15" Eons would be even better, and got a pair. No comparison, the 10" Eons were terrific, the 15" was not in the same league.

Sometimes the right driver in the right enclosure is just perfect.

Where are you located? Who told you the 12MA are out till Dec?

Zzounds got me the QSC K10 in 3 days. Just arrived yesterday and I had a softball game last night, so I haven't had a chance to form a helpful opinion on it, but it seems like a noteworthy (and available) alternative to the Verve line.

If you would consider the 15ma than weight/size isn't an issue for you so don't rule out the QSC HPR122i by all accounts it sounds just about as good as the 12ma plus it has a better warranty.

geetarman said:
If you would consider the 15ma than weight/size isn't an issue for you so don't rule out the QSC HPR122i by all accounts it sounds just about as good as the 12ma plus it has a better warranty.

Where are these accounts that state the QSC HPR sounds just as good as the 12ma? I have both and would not agree that the QSC HPR sounds just about as good at all. I'm not saying the QSC sounds bad but the 12ma is an appreciable improvement - not to mention that the 12ma actually costs less, the 12ma is lighter, the 12ma is smaller, and the 12ma is made in Italy vs. China for the QSC (if that matters to you).

geetarman said:

Going on specs alone, to me, the 15ma isn't worth it. It weighs 17.5 pounds more, costs more, and the only notable spec improvement over the 12ma that matters to me is the extra 5hz of FR extension (I would also use it for e-drums). Also the comments on 15" speakers in general for guitar are a concern.

hippietim said:
geetarman said:

Where are these accounts that state the QSC HPR sounds just as good as the 12ma? I have both and would not agree that the QSC HPR sounds just about as good at all. I'm not saying the QSC sounds bad but the 12ma is an appreciable improvement - not to mention that the 12ma actually costs less, the 12ma is lighter, the 12ma is smaller, and the 12ma is made in Italy vs. China for the QSC (if that matters to you).

I never said "just as good" read my post. As far as price I've seen the QSC for less than the FBT with factory rebate. Size/weight clearly is in favor of the 12ma but I was talking about the 15ma once again read my post. It may be made in China but the warranty is far better...NO?

geetarman said:
hippietim said:
geetarman said:

I never said "just as good" read my post. As far as price I've seen the QSC for less than the FBT with factory rebate. Size/weight clearly is in favor of the 12ma but I was talking about the 15ma once again read my post. It may be made in China but the warranty is far better...NO?

Ok, you didn't say "just as good", you said "just about as good" - talk about splitting hairs. But you did explicitly say the 12ma, which I quoted and was responding to:

don't rule out the QSC HPR122i by all accounts it sounds just about as good as the 12ma

No biggie I just hate being misquoted. I'm sure the 12ma is fantastic would love to try one myself but if I needed a speaker now and the wait was too long why not consider the QSC it's been the proven choice of many here.

Back
Top Bottom