Can't eject big new USB SSD

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
(Apologies for all the low level computery questions lately, refrabulating the world...)

I recently added a 4Tb USB drive to the Windows 10 laptop I'm going to be using for music.
It has all the music app content I could control the location of on it, and a tiny bit of other stuff.

I want to take it downstairs and connect it to my old machine, to copy some files off there, but when I choose Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media from the system tray, I can't eject it, Windows says a program is using it.
I quit all apps, even restarted, and with no visible apps running, same
Process Explorer doesn't find anything starting with D:\.

What now?

Last edited:
Shut the PC down and pull it out and you should be fine. Just don't remove it until the PC is off. IT experts feel free to correct me...

Shut the PC down and pull it out and you should be fine. Just don't remove it until the PC is off. IT experts feel free to correct me...
Hmmm, I'm a big fan of the Fred Flintstone direct approach, so this plan has a certain appeal.
Shouldn't be necessary though.

Just FYI, as noted here (old though), I checked Device Manager > Properties/Policies, and Quick removal is selected, which should let me eject it.

I never use the remove\eject. Just close any window showing/accessing that drive
and pull it out. As long as it's not in the middle of a copy or scan, etc. of that
drive, should be fine. I manage dozens of PC's and hundreds of removable
drives and have not had issues with this. Make sure to back up files on more
than one device, as the removable will fail over time as any other drive.

Back
Top Bottom