Can't easily navigate thru presets on a 2500 bucks flooboard? Seriously?

g.lolo3

Hi,

Coming from the AX8 I miss the preset list on the main screen to navigate thru presets by foot.

The mini LCD screen are cool but they display only 10 caracters. For me it's not enough to and practical.

What do you think about it? For those who use many presets how do you manage this on the FM9?

When you press Home, press 3 times the "Page >>" button, you'll see the Presets page.
This Presets page does not update while browsing through banks or presets with the footswitches.
It updates the Presets page only when selecting a preset.

I have an idea... but you'll need to tweak it to taste.

* Change the banksize to 12 on the unit, in Setup > FC Controllers/Onboard Switches > Config > Bank Size.

* In FM9-EDIT, setup a footswith like this:
1723501491478.png

=> You'll now 'scroll' per 24 presets (a full page) in the Presets page.

In addition to that you can/need to setup other footswitches for selecting the next preset, or incrementing with 5.

Good luck!

Thanks for your answer! That's a smart workaround. But unfortunately only a workaround not a solution...

I really like many features of the FM9 but the UX has obviously lot a flaws.

Not being able to navigate easily thru presets for a floorboard unit at this price is a pain in the ass.
Moreover when the previous generation has this feature.

I'm pretty sure that there are here "presets guys" (1 song/1 preset). And sometimes in Live situation we would have to play a song that was not in the setlist... 10 caracters to identify presets seems like going back to 80s!

How do you do guys? We have to ask an update to Fractal to be able to do this?

Thanks for your answer! That's a smart workaround. But unfortunately only a workaround not a solution...

I really like many features of the FM9 but the UX has obviously lot a flaws.

Not being able to navigate easily thru presets for a floorboard unit at this price is a pain in the ass.
Moreover when the previous generation has this feature.

I'm pretty sure that there are here "presets guys" (1 song/1 preset). And sometimes in Live situation we would have to play a song that was not in the setlist... 10 caracters to identify presets seems like going back to 80s!

How do you do guys? We have to ask an update to Fractal to be able to do this?
Just because something doesn't work how you want doesn't make it a "flaw"...

I see the utility if you use it, though I'd venture most users don't do a lot of flipping through pages of presets in actual use. I'd guess that is why it wasn't carried forward in the UI. I used an AX8 for a while, though I mostly played the Axe FX II during that span. When I changed to the FM9T I never noticed you couldn't do what you're describing as I set up my presets where I want them and scrolling is limited to that. Anything more is done in FM9 edit, where it's super simple.

No disagreement with your wishing it was there, but it's a non-issue for me.

Why do you, in a LIVE situation, have to navigate thru 500+ presets? For example, in preset mode, on the bottom row alone-I see 5 presets and hit Bank-1 and see 5 more, INSTANTLY. If I hit Bank + I see 5 different presets. Thats 15 presets in a few seconds. I also can just keep hitting Bank +1.
and see all I want?
I don't see the issue, sorry!

I see the utility if you use it, though I'd venture most users don't do a lot of flipping through pages of presets in actual use. I'd guess that is why it wasn't carried forward in the UI. I used an AX8 for a while, though I mostly played the Axe FX II during that span. When I changed to the FM9T I never noticed you couldn't do what you're describing as I set up my presets where I want them and scrolling is limited to that. Anything more is done in FM9 edit, where it's super simple.

No disagreement with your wishing it was there, but it's a non-issue for me.
So let's help the OP out, can we?

IIRC navigate to FC-Edit, then FC Config. Select Bank Size. (This determines the number of presets in any and all banks at one given time.). Come back to FC-Edit and across the bottom row of 5 switches within the preset layout, Select Category: Preset; Select in Bank; Preset (#); 2nd Press = Prev Preset: OFF.

IZVqxn7.png

Note that Preset represented is preset 2 in my 1st user bank. I seldom need sample the factory presets and prefer to build my own. Be sure to set up your switch presets so that they represent presets 1 thru 5 within your bank of 5. Use a separate switch to tap/hold bank+1/-1. You may need to set limits for your banks and wrap them so you won't find yourself venturing off into the Bermuda Triangle.

So nobody seems to agree....

To be clear I use Fractal product for nearly 15 years. Starting with the Ultra, then the AX8, then the FM9. Spending hundred of hours to tweak sounds with pretty satisfying results, allow me to learn lot of things about sound. I really like many a lot of the wonderful things that Fractal provide to us, speaking about sound quality and flexibility. So I'm not at all a "forum fanatic" but neither a newbie.

But we can really like a product/brand and make some constructive criticism don't we?

If we are honest the UX on the units (not speaking about edit software) has never been the main advantage of Fractal.

I'm a live player, to me the AX8 was a really good step on live usability.
The main "flaws" on the FM9 for me are:
  • Not (for now) being able to navigate thru presets by foot with an easily readable list and more than 10 caracters to identify a preset
  • When in effect mode the main screen does not display the edit page of the corresponding effect of the last pressed switch. Making a pain in the ass to edit on the fly (depending of the gig I sometimes use 80 presets in a gig or only one like a traditionnal pedalboard)
This 2 points were already implemented on the AX8 so I had even not imagine that these features would not be there on the FM9. It's like a regression to me.
  • No custom labels by channel on mini-lcd, so we have to remember what setting was affected to each channel

On the paper the FM9 seems to be another step; More power, switchs layouts, more IOs (Headphones output for travel usage), USB Soundcard, named scenes, color screen, more channels, mini LCD, setlists... But in reality I'm disappointed on the UX point for now. May be I need to get used to another "workflow". That was the primary goal of my this thread, because I know there are plenty of really good players and users on the forum.

So sorry guys if I offense some of you by telling the product is not perfect. I hope some would give solutions or maybe Fractal will make updates...

May be a good solution would be to give us the possibility to display any screen when pressing a switch?
So when we go in "preset mode" the preset list could be displayed, when we press an effect switch the edit screen of the corresponding effect could be displayed, if we use the looper the looper screen could be displayed...
If remember correctly I've seen many threads (one by @yek) related to this.
What do you think about it?

So let's help the OP out, can we?

IIRC navigate to FC-Edit, then FC Config. Select Bank Size. (This determines the number of presets in any and all banks at one given time.). Come back to FC-Edit and across the bottom row of 5 switches within the preset layout, Select Category: Preset; Select in Bank; Preset (#); 2nd Press = Prev Preset: OFF.

IZVqxn7.png

Note that Preset represented is preset 2 in my 1st user bank. I seldom need sample the factory presets and prefer to build my own. Be sure to set up your switch presets so that they represent presets 1 thru 5 within your bank of 5. Use a separate switch to tap/hold bank+1/-1. You may need to set limits for your banks and wrap them so you won't find yourself venturing off into the Bermuda Triangle.
Thanks a lot for your answer but I guess I had not well understood your advice sorry...

Last edited:
If you’re at the computer with FM9 Edit open then you can open the presets page and click the pin 📌 icon on the top right. Then you’ll see many presets and on the FM9 you’d wanna use the Scenes layout to see the scenes on in each preset.

If you’re not using FM9 edit then yeah it’s not the best but it also isn’t the worst…

I'm an FM3 user, but I'll give you a vote of confidence.

There was previously one button press access to the presets. That changed with Performance Pages.

I never used the AX8, but it'd be very useful to have easier access and the ability to navigate by foot.

Coming from the AX8 I miss the preset list on the main screen to navigate thru presets by foot.
Can you navigate the presetlist by foot without selecting one on the AX8?
Because except from that, the idea i've written in post #2 is fully customizable and with additional footswitches and their setup, you can navigate smaller steps up/down.
You could even dedicate a complete lay-out for all your navigation wishes!

Back
Top Bottom